Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Party 10/20

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

My opponent is very aggressive, do you like my line?

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 07-08-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Party 10/20

Was he just aggressive? Or was he recklessly aggressive?

If he's a reckless bettor (and probably loose caller) then I think you played it right. If he's an aggressive but solid player, I would have either raised the flop or folded. And I would have just checked the river, as this type of player is less likely to pay you off with anything you can beat.

My guess is the player was more of the reckless type and you played it right.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:33 PM

I wasn't playing with any stats this time and frankly hadn't figured out yet how reckless he was. Let's just say that he was much more aggressive than the solids you run into, therefore making him reckless.

Regarding the flop call, I felt that either I was way ahead or far behind. I wanted to see if he would bet the turn.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 PM

If you're going to bet, bet the turn and not the river. He might fold a queen or JJ on the turn. He ain't doing either to your river bet.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to bet, bet the turn and not the river. He might fold a queen or JJ on the turn. He ain't doing either to your river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he played the turn and river well.

Betting the turn seems bad against most "very aggressive" players:

1. Some big hand checkraises you and you lose your set outs ... oh joy.

2. KK/Qx/JJ calls and you may lose an extra bet depending on how the river goes. You probably have no fold equity against better hands.

3. 66 or something folds. If you check behind you can probably get a bet off this hand on the river.

There are cases where betting the turn is good, but on balance I want my free card thank you very much.

On to the river. You can expect most better hands to bet the river after you show weakness on the turn and the river ace further reinforces this point. This is an easy value bet when he checks a second time because you will be called by many worse hands.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's an aggressive but solid player, I would have either raised the flop or folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop is self-destructive. Folding is an option depending on what range you put him on.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Results

My opponent called my river bet, flipped over 66 and mhig. I didn't bet the turn because I didn't really fear giving a free card in this situation, and I didn't want to be bluff check-raised out by an aggressive player. My typical line would be to raise the flop and then bet-check turn and river. I think this may be a decent mix-up against aggressve player.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:11 AM

PREFLOP: Just call the three bet w/ TT

FLOP: Fold. There are two overcards on the board and the Preflop 3-Bettor just bet into the Preflop Capper.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
My opponent called my river bet, flipped over 66 and mhig.

[/ QUOTE ]
Put him on your Buddy List.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn seems bad against most "very aggressive" players:

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to read these posts more closely before trying to give advice. I agree . . . against a very aggressive player that might try to checkraise you on the turn, and who might 3-bet from the BB with any pocket, this line is likely best.