Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 PM

Default How to deal with loose players

How do you deal with a loose person at a tourney table? I preflop raised with pocket Queens. The loose player, calls from the seat behind me, one in front of the dealer. Everyone else folds. Flop comes 7 9 2 rainbow. I raise 90, he re-raises me to 180. I raise back all in. He calls, and has 8 10 offsuit. I knew he was loose within the first couple of hands, but I didn't think he would have called all his chips to the river. Next time how should I deal with that? Not push a loose person all in? Or was this just a rare occurrence? Thanks for any and all help.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: How to deal with loose players

Yea, I forgot to mention he caught a 6 on the river.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you deal with a loose person at a tourney table? I preflop raised with pocket Queens. The loose player, calls from the seat behind me, one in front of the dealer. Everyone else folds. Flop comes 7 9 2 rainbow. I raise 90, he re-raises me to 180. I raise back all in. He calls, and has 8 10 offsuit. I knew he was loose within the first couple of hands, but I didn't think he would have called all his chips to the river. Next time how should I deal with that? Not push a loose person all in? Or was this just a rare occurrence? Thanks for any and all help.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what u just did is a pretty solid way to deal with a loose player. get it in as more than a 2to1 fave to double up all day. holla
Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Well, getting your chips in as a 2-1 favorite is clearly incorrect. You need to first limp preflop so you can avoid this difficult situation on the flop. Considering your preflop raise, he showed signifigant strength by calling, and also raising you back. You need to realize that even though you're going to be a 2-1 favorite or better on this flop 90% of the time, that clearly your opponent will hit his straight, and so you've got to be able to fold this on the flop. That's why you limp pf.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if he didnt catch it, he wouldnt play any more. thanks for taking the brunt for others, so they can get the rest of his money. good man. holla
Old 07-08-2005, 09:32 PM

how long will it take for our newfound moderator to rampage this bad beat post.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how long will it take for our newfound moderator to rampage this bad beat post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i say trying to moderate or police a bad beat thread is stupid. just because we all know, "It's a part of poker" , does'nt mean people can't start them. any and everything involving poker should be discussed in a poker forum. i got sucked out on the river in two seperate SNGs tonight holding three of a kind and two pair on the flop. i'd rather spill out my volcanic disgust in words [letting it all out] in a poker forum than to turn Leatherface on my Gateway. there's alot worse that gets discussed in these forums than someone upset about bad misfortune.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you played the hand fine. remember this one key thing above all:

[ QUOTE ]
you can't [outplay] bad luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm living proof of this. i lose more big hands and SNGs on the river to the worse hand than any other street. there's nothing you can do about it except shrug it off and keep plugging.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if he didnt catch it, he wouldnt play any more. thanks for taking the brunt for others, so they can get the rest of his money. good man. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

the only way i would even take this comment with a grain of salt is if i was one of the others who had taken his money. otherwise, it's an insult.