Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Religion Astrology and Me

Just want to make it very clear that the problems I have with the beliefs of organized religions have nothing to do with any of their moral or philosophical tenets. It is inconsequential to me that Religions may instigate wars. It is inconsequential to me that religions are anti-abortion and not sexually open. I don't care about most of the points that Bertrand Russell tries to make in Why I am Not a Christian. None of these things lead me in the slightest to make me feel that a religion is incorrect. Even the idea that God would punish wonderful disbelievers and reward horrible believers has not even the slightest to do with why I am a disbeliever myself.

On the other side of the coin the possible philosophical implications of no personal god are irrelevant to me. I have no problem conceding every point along these lines that religious people make. It just doesn't matter.

So you see I am different than virtually any of the other posters on this forum who are debating on the anti-religion side. I don't believe in the likelihood of any of the organized religions having an accurate picture of what controls the universe for the same basic reason that I don't believe astrologers have an accurate picture. And that's it. Period.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Religion Astrology and Me

[ QUOTE ]
Just want to make it very clear that the problems I have with the beliefs of organized religions have nothing to do with any of their moral or philosophical tenets. It is inconsequential to me that Religions may instigate wars. It is inconsequential to me that religions are anti-abortion and not sexually open. I don't care about most of the points that Bertrand Russell tries to make in Why I am Not a Christian. None of these things lead me in the slightest to make me feel that a religion is incorrect. Even the idea that God would punish wonderful disbelievers and reward horrible believers has not even the slightest to do with why I am a disbeliever myself.

On the other side of the coin the possible philosophical implications of no personal god are irrelevant to me. I have no problem conceding every point along these lines that religious people make. It just doesn't matter.

So you see I am different than virtually any of the other posters on this forum who are debating on the anti-religion side. I don't believe in the likelihood of any of the organized religions having an accurate picture of what controls the universe for the same basic reason that I don't believe astrologers have an accurate picture. And that's it. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in a typical culturally jewish home and become religious on my own for two years during my mid teens. I was never troubled by the life-changes or the commitments and was heavily inspired by the moral and philosophical tenets. The only reason i stopped my practicing was because i could not have undoubtable faith. More specifically, i realized the things i had come to believe were of a similar likelihood to things like astrology. I'm sure many other "anti-religion" posters reject religion for similar reasons to the ones you've outlined.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense whatsoever. If you really believe it doesn't matter, it is a monumental waste of time to even attempt debating you. I would say it's no more than an intellectual game but it doesn't even amount to that as most games matter to at least some degree.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Shampoo

You wanna add "in this context" after every disclaimer - and then I'd agree with you 100%. (Context referring to whether religion possesses the right answers about our world or not. Because I am certainly very interested in what people believe and what religions proclaim! In a different context.)

[ QUOTE ]
It is inconsequential to me that Religions may instigate wars. It is inconsequential to me that religions are anti-abortion and not sexually open. I don't care about most of the points that Bertrand Russell tries to make in Why I am Not a Christian. None of these things lead me in the slightest to make me feel that a religion is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm adding: "...and not 'morally' but as a robust system of knowledge of the world".

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in the likelihood of any of the organized religions having an accurate picture of what controls the universe for the same basic reason that I don't believe astrologers have an accurate picture. So I am different than virtually any of the other posters on this forum who are debating on the anti-religion side.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not.

Why would think that? (Do you have some obsession about being head-and-shoulders above the pack?)
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM

DS --
"It just doesn't matter."

I think David should be cast in the Bill Murray role when they do the remake of the movie "Meatballs".

PairTheBoard
Old 07-08-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense whatsoever. If you really believe it doesn't matter, it is a monumental waste of time to even attempt debating you. I would say it's no more than an intellectual game but it doesn't even amount to that as most games matter to at least some degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

an intellextual game that does not matter... like a discussion between two beings but only one person fully comprehends all views being said.

Though it may not matter to Mr. Sklansky it may indirectly matter to other posters/readers who may be more open minded all ideas.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Though it may not matter to Mr. Sklansky it may indirectly matter to other posters/readers who may be more open minded all ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It does allow greater selectivity of response, however, since I no longer have to be concerned about what DS thinks.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:39 PM

If any other person here made a topic like this they would get blown off. I think it comes off egotistical. Just an opinion.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:04 PM

NotReady - you are 100% correct. It has always been an intellectual game for David. If you read my post on his why do jews reject jesus post you will see that i recognized this before. I have always seen it. I truly believes that he just enjoys belittling people. Half the time his arguments make no sense and he loves to take quotes out of context.

You seem like an intelligent person - it is best for you to ignore Davids rantings and keep the debating to people who actually care about what is being posted.

PS - David you are the smartest person on the 2+2 forum. There - you dont have to prove it anymore.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:28 PM

you love to belittle david dont you? how egotistical of you to say that you were the first to realize this was an intellectual game. you must think david is at least semi-retarted since you claim half his posts make no sense. how dare you belittle someone who isn't as mentally capable as you think you are. in fact, you are so on top of this that you have the authority to command Not ready to ignore david.

Quit with your unwarranted cheapshots, you obviously misunderstnad david.