Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Umm....WTF.

[ QUOTE ]
Inevitably, one of the limpers has Ace crappy kicker and will call but not bet, fearing outkickage. They call the flop, even though they "know" somebody has a better ace because they want to checkraise when they turn or river their two pair. The good news is that they will pay to see when you're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This BS happens to me all the time (AK getting sucked out by K2 etc) but what's most funny here....

is that no one was dealt a card higher than a 7 in this hand, besides me. And even more funny, they all called this flop.

ROFL i love PP
Old 07-08-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that it's 5 way and the fact that you have more than 20% equity (by far IMO) you have to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot/cold equity in a 5 way pot out of position is pretty meaningless. I don't raise it either.

Krishan
Old 07-08-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that it's 5 way and the fact that you have more than 20% equity (by far IMO) you have to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot/cold equity in a 5 way pot out of position is pretty meaningless. I don't raise it either.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this some more and I think you're right for the most part, except for the people like to draw more in bigger pots. Gaining 2 extra BB preflop for my 0.5 BB won't gain me much on later streets except for the people who draw to their 2 pair/trips who normall wouldn't draw in a 2.5 BB pot.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you wouldn't raise QQ or KK here? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I assume what you mean is that the equity advantage is not enough to overcome being OOP?

FWIW, I raise here pre-flop but I think it's close. I just call with 88.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, are you serious? Easy raise. If you disagree, what are you doing with TT here and why?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:11 PM

99 is a coin flip vs hands like JT which are pretty likely given preflop action, they could have JT QT KT etc (20 hands). Where if you have TT you have those hands dominated and there are less hands that you're just flipping with. I don't think I would raise preflop with TT either given 3 limpers. I'm not forcing anyone out, all I'm doing is building a pot and making my hand more difficult to play.

I would rather limp then either bet/3-bet, check/raise, or check/fold whatever the action on the flop suggests I should do.

With two limpers I'll raise with TT, and I'll raise with 99 if CO and button limp, and I think they're pretty bad.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Umm...two questions.

1. These people are idiots, VPIP of the table is 62. I raise in this situation almost every time because they're more likely over/under rather than 2 overs.
2. If anything, 99 is easier to play in a larger pot. When you hit your set, people will stick around to see their backdoor nutflush draw or something and you get huge huge odds as a 90-95% favorite.
3. Even with the WORST flops, (3 overs and a straight draw) like this one, 99 stll has 14% equity against 4 random hands.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:24 PM

I raise here preflop, unless the limpers are overly tight.

I don't like the flop bet - check and fold.

Betting the river is futile, you wont fold any better hands - you may rarely get a bet from a worse PP but the number of players makes it incredibly unlikely that when you get called you'll win. Check and hope for a free showdown.

Surf
Old 07-08-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
99 is a coin flip vs hands like JT which are pretty likely given preflop action

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only a coinflip if you both see the river.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:47 PM

I understand, but if the flop is something like 672r and you bet the flop after raising preflop. JTo is getting 11:1 in this instance to take on off against you with position. I would rather lead the flop if its rags and now someone is only getting 6:1 odds.

Is 14% equity vs 4 random hands good enough for you to stay in anyways???