Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Party $34kgntd hand, late in tourney:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t8000 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t126136)
SB (t180436)
BB (t136228)
UTG (t117734)
UTG+1 (t45842)
MP1 (t51763)
MP2 (t30800)
CO (t135062)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t19500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t46100</font>, Hero calls t26600.

Flop: (t96200) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB is all-in [t98128] , Hero...

The BB is pretty well a generic online tight player. Other than that, no read.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Party $34kgntd hand, late in tourney:

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t8000 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t126136)
SB (t180436)
BB (t136228)
UTG (t117734)
UTG+1 (t45842)
MP1 (t51763)
MP2 (t30800)
CO (t135062)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t19500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t46100</font>, Hero calls t26600.

Flop: (t96200) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB is all-in [t98128] , Hero...

The BB is pretty well a generic online tight player. Other than that, no read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, could have I let this go after his pre-flop reraise, even with about 2.5:1 pot odds?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:56 PM

fold to the preflop raise.

no sense in adding another 25k chips to the pot where if you do hit your ace, you're probably behind still most of the time.

my feeling is that he has something like AQ with no spades and doesnt want that 4th spade to come off. i cant see any way you can call his all-in - what do you beat that he pushes with and that he would have raised with preflop?

unless you have some awesome read on the guy that says he might push a flop like this with QQ just because he's pissed the Ace hit the flop, then muck muck muck.

but, again, with a weak ace, you shouldnt even have seen the flop. i dont have a problem with your preflop raise - that'll take the blinds a lot of the time. but with a weak ace you have to let it go when he comes back at you preflop.

a lot of tournament lives are ended on A rag v. AK or AQ.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:13 PM

You have to call preflop.

This is a VERY interesting decision post flop.

The fact that you are so deep for being this late in a tourney, leads me to believe you are too far behind to call here. I think it is pretty close though. The fact that you still have 10xBB when you fold makes it a little easier. If you only had 4xBB behind, you push and pray.

I think his ranges is
AK-AJ
KK-JJ
a set
plus a standard bluff range
Old 07-08-2005, 03:37 PM

i would fold to the reraise pre-flop. yes, you're getting great odds, but the villain is giving you those odds. a tight player isn't going to be doing that with a junk hand to see if he can get you to make a tight fold. there's a very low chance you're going to win this pot if you hit, and the odds aren't that good you're going to win even if you do flop a pair.

once you get to the flop, i think you should call.

here's how you fare against some hands:

KsJs/KsQs: these are the only reasonably flush hands, and they're not that likely. and i think they often check instead of bet. &lt;1%

AcKs: this is the kind of hand that really kills you. an ace with a bigger spade kicker. but there are only 2 aces left, and only 4 bigger spades, so this hand is not too likely. you have 3 outs. ~11%

AcKd: this is most likely, imo. lots of decent non-spade kickers are out there. you have 12 outs, so you're ~46%. (if someone wanted to check these %'s, that'd be cool). folding here would cost you 0000's of chips in EV, but avoiding going broke does have some value. but you really don't want to fold this one.

QsQh: this is also a pretty likely class of hands. villain has 10 outs, so you're ~61%. folding here is really bad.

QcQh: this hand might check/fold instead of betting. if it bets and you fold, it's a total disaster.

AcAh: this is pretty bad for you. you're ~25% to win, and would need to be ~31% to be neutral chipEV. add in the fact that you don't want to go broke, and it's a downer to call against a set.

i think you're going to see something like QsQc or AcKh much more than any of the hands that are horrible for you, many of which check the flop.

i call.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 PM

fold to reraise.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Just fold to the raise preflop, because even "good" flops for you like this make you want to fold.

If he had stop n go'd then things would be different, but with a reraise from a straightforward tight player you just gotta get out.

Given that you got to that flop I'd be inclined to call, as you cant be sure he has an ace and unless hes WEAK tight then he'll push this flop with lots of stuff, KsKx for example.

Kings