Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Rock tight in supper loose maniac filled table?

Playing 1-2NL at the GATA and yes i know this is high stakes forum but the game played like 5-10. The ave pot was well over 200. Preflop raise was to 30 dollars with 5 callers all the way. I usually play a supperaggressive game but as a result of this table i never played as tight as i did here. IS this the only way? Game was real boring as i must have seen 10% of the flops. But highly profitable. Again tight is the only way to go right?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Rock tight in supper loose maniac filled table?

No not necessarily.
If you have a big BR and are confident of your postflop skills then feel free to play considerably looser.
But if you want to minimize variance and at the same time maximize profit? Then tight is the way to go.
It should be easy money playing like that...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:14 PM

I feel very confident in outplaying them but the players were ones you could out play. My big hand i had AK i raised to 30 preflop and got 4 callers. THe flop came k77. A crazy maniac bet 50. I raised him 100 he called. I went all in for 150 more he called on the turn that was 10(rainbow) he called and flipped 33. That was the type of players at that game. That guy and another lost over 1500 at a 1-2NL table that had a 300 cap buy in. It was a wierd but good night. The only reason i watned to see more flops was hoping to catch and move all in as the otehrs wouldnt fold ever.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:22 PM

In a game like this, you should obviously play your premium hands, but I think you should also show a big profit from playing all pocket pairs, suited connectors, and suited aces.

Is it usually very aggressive throughout the hand? Or are they just calling off their stacks?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:39 PM

It was like that people with a lot of money like i siad avg pot was over 200 which is crazt considering its a 300 cap buy in. 3 ATM's feed the table money 3 people lost over 1k while i was there
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 PM

depends on how deep the stacks are...if they are very deep you can get in there and play....otherwise playing supertight is probably the best way (assuming your opponents are not adjusting to your tightness properly)
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM

They didnt adjust to anything. They constintly made fun of my friend saying he was too tight. He was like "ill go all in blind for 300 if you think your so good" that was perhaps the funniest line i ever heard. I quickly had to pull my freind aside. because one thing i learned is there is no reason to piss the ATM machine at the game wrong. We need him there.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I still think SCs and any PPs should be profitable in this game since it sounds like stacks are so deep.... just a matter of how much you like variance.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 AM

I generally do pretty well in games like these, I have some variance, more so than in a tight game, but then again the profit is higher too.

I base my starting cards based more on what I need to win the pot, i.e. in most of these games you want trips or better, even though a TPGK will take many a pot if the number of players is reduced by the turn. You will need to watch and see what it takes to win most pots and go from there. I notice in a lot of loose games flushes (not high ones either), two pair and the donkey end of str8s take the pot.

So based on that... connected cards, generally the higher end of the range, 67 thru JT, one gappers from 8T up. Any two paint, suited aces and kings (queens and jacks from LP too).

Play smart post flop! Implied odds are much more important in these games, chase a little bit more, but becareful, this is were your variance will come from, but when you hit you generally will be able to take a stack or two.

BTW it does hurt too much to lose a small pot or two to your ATMs to encourage them to stay and get it all back with that one big hand. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 11:29 AM

At the risk of sounding like a moron, but what is the GATA?