Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Live game limit to online limit correlation?

There is none. Well maybe there would be one if Party and skins delivered drinks to peoples computers. Or if you could find a HUD to find out what percentage the dude in the 4 seat raises preflop. Or if you have a lot of experience playing single tables without music/TV/web.

Are you talking about going pro B+M or do you just want to get your feet wet live? If the latter take a shot a 10/20 or play 2/4 just to get out of the house. Realize that it's entirely possible you may loose your first buyin.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 PM

Yeah i know 30 hours isn't much at all. My point was more to demonstrate i know how bad live players can be.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM

I mean I am going to be in vegas next week and would like to play as high as i can afford without getting out of my skill level, at least not too far. My bankroll online and live combined is around $2600. Online I am just moving up to 3/6 6Max.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hah. Would you still think its funny when I was begging for chaneg outside the Bellagio?

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasn't trying to be funny. it's true, no joke.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 PM

The higher you get playing live, the trickier and more aggressive the players will become. If you can handle the agression and know that you are going to run into some tricky/solid players from time to time, play as high as your funds allow.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Generally speaking, I'd say a 2 level difference. i.e. $2-4 Party---->$6/12 B&M, $3-6 party--->$10-20B&M. This is partly from my limited experience, but more the general viewpoint I sense off this board.

As with online, make sure to practice good table selection, and play within your bankroll.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:48 PM

I am just coming off 20k hands of 1/2 SH and my full ring might be a little rusty. I think i'll start with 4/8 and move up from there.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? you imply that live limit players across limits levels are unbelieveably bad and then you give an elaborate example to prove it, only to finish the story by saying it was at a 2/4 table???

WTF I mean, why even bother with it? You just described damn near every 2/4 game I've ever played in. That doesn't speak to the level of play at higher limits, 15/30, 20/40 etc...
Old 07-08-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with playing the highest limit you can afford. The live players are unbelievably bad.

The last time I played a limit ring game at the Trop I found out how truly bad they can be. Minimum 5 players seeing the flop, usually 8 or 9. Mostly all calling stations. One girl directly to my right was raising and reraising hands like T7o before the flop. Not all of the time, just whenever she felt like it. Another time she reraised an inside straight on the turn (no other draws and she hadn't acted on the turn yet); I started cracking up when she turned over her straight on the showdown [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But the funniest was that I don't think she knew that you are allowed to check. Several times in a heads up pot she simply folded on the river when she was first to act; I couldn't believe it! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Many of the other players were similar to her, but that should give you a taste of the types of people you will come across. Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

If you can beat .50/1.00 then you'll have no problem with the lower level limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you remember when this was? I think I was at your table.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? you imply that live limit players across limits levels are unbelieveably bad and then you give an elaborate example to prove it, only to finish the story by saying it was at a 2/4 table???

WTF I mean, why even bother with it? You just described damn near every 2/4 game I've ever played in. That doesn't speak to the level of play at higher limits, 15/30, 20/40 etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

My intention was to talk about the lower limits, I don't know how you get the impression that I'm saying there are horrible players in every single game. Since the original poster beats 2/4 and 1/2 SH online I'm assuming he isn't going to want to play a significantly higher limit like 15/30 where he could lose his bankroll in a couple of bad sessions. My example was to show how the LOWER limit games are fishy, and I know friends who have had similar experiences (although not always that drastic) up to and including 6/12.