Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Six handed opening hand help

Six handed 5/10 -

My top pair good kicker keeps getting busted by people showing junky two pair hands 5c10c etc.- they are calling raises cold or defending the blinds.

What's a good strategy for six handed. I know I need to loosen my starting hands a little bit but any two suited cards seems insane.

What's a good strategy for opening hands with six.

Thanks

Sam [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Six handed opening hand help

Opening strategy for a 6 handed game is almost identical to an opening strategy for a 10 handed game when the 1st 4 players fold.

- Louie
Old 06-22-2003, 06:13 PM

I hear S&M and others say this, but I don't really believe it. It seems you should be looser in the 6 hander, because in the 10 hander, it is a little more likely for bigger hands to be out there. Maybe someone with more statistical knowledge could elaborate on this.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:35 PM

its is just the opposite of what you think. if going by what you think, one would believe that with four folded you would more likely run into a big hand. so maybe you should believe what s&m say.
but the truth is as louie says its so close as to not matter. you would base your change in strategy by the tempo of the game. but vary your aggressiveness more than changing starting requirements.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:58 AM

in six handed you should consider calling the kind of hands that will win if they catch pairs.
In ten person games, you are expecting more players to stay in so you should play more suited hands and less K10 type hands.

so in a 10 person game, a hand like 6 9 suited is more valuable than in a 6 person game. while K10 is less valuable. medium pairs 66-99 are about the same.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:18 AM

"in six handed you should consider calling the kind of hands that will win if they catch pairs."

I disagree with this, while in a 6 player game you are unlikely to be drawing dead, you are also very unlikely to be getting your odds to chase a 6 outer i.e. AK on a low flop.

However, if you are in the typical game, once you raise with this preflop and everyone calls you will be getting your odds to see the turn and maybe the river.