Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Anyway I can lay this down 8/b 10-20

The main villian is MRKKLEEN, who if anyone plays at PP is a pretty decent player from what I've seen. He will sometimes play his small pp with baby kickers too much, but from what I've seen he is pretty solid and I usually respect his raises. I thought the only logical thing that he could have on fourth street was Jacks in the hole for trips. I can't see him playing any other hand this way. Can I lay this down on fifth? I think I should have but I just couldn't force myself to do it. Comments?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (1.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (6.75 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets (all-in)
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (10.95 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___all-in
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (12.95 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (14.95 BB)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Anyway I can lay this down 8/b 10-20

I know MRKKLEEN well. He is a decent player but he thinks too highly of himself and his own play skill. I've seen him berate players for drawing out on him plenty (myself being one of them, heh) but he mostly plays an ABC game. The key to figuring out his hand is that there was a J out on 3rd street. He may have caught the case J on 4th street which is majorly lucky. He could also have AA or KK but AA is obviously less likely due to the presence of seat 2's ace. Based on the information and the fact that's not on a low hand if he's reraising a total bricky card like a 4th street J, I'd have to say that he very likely has trip jacks. But in the heat of battle you're probably not going to assume that, and you're surely not going to lay down concealed trips on 4th street. I think you have to see this hand through. I don't often fold 4th street trips, I think most players would find it very difficult to fold this hand. Especially considering that should you catch another low card on 5th street, you can drive the betting with a totally concealed hand. The most profitable situations in this game from my experience tend to come from when a high hand thinks you're low and continues to play with you. So you're in that spot and given these parameters, it's probably impossible to fold. If you get beat, so be it; sometimes getting beat is just unavoidable.

Edit: If there is a place you could fold the hand it's definitely on 5th street where you've made 3 diamonds up and it hasn't slowed him from betting at all. Most players will check in this spot and he didn't, so more ammunition for the "he already has jacks full" argument.

I'm curious as to the results of this hand.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Yeah I've seen him talk smack on some other players as well. There were some fishies at the table and it was almost like he wanted them to leave [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 02:21 PM

The only thing I noticed was that one jack is already dead to Seat 1. I don't know what the exact probability would be that he had exactly JJ in the whole, but I imagine its slim with one jack already gone. I would guess medium pocket pair, but that is just a guess. Perhaps a raise on fifth to define your hand and see where you really are. I think you have the best hand with the trips fours. You hold one of his twos so even that is unlikely. But I would raise fifth to try to gain information on where I am in the hand.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:46 PM

Trip jacks are definitely a possibility, but I think a real possibility is that his hand was 2J2, giving him a ragged two pair. I would maybe cap those on 4th with 2J2J against two apparent lows, especially if I overplayed my pp. Twos full on fifth means you're beaten unless you fill, but I still think you play it to the end.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:12 PM

im playing this one to SD unless it comes down incredibly bad
Old 07-08-2005, 01:43 AM

fold third. really- the ante is very small, there's no good reason to get into a pot with a hand like that.

if you think seat 8 is decent at all, fold fifth.

he's jamming two appearent lows, as well as two potential flush draws- this means a set of jacks or rolled twos (there is no way he's raising for a free card or anything like that in 8/b). when the duece falls on fifth, i'd have to think i was drawing dead. tough laydown, but one you've gotta make, imho.

bottom line, if he was jamming without a set he's a fish. you'll get him later. what'd he have?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:06 AM

Jacks Full, I just couldn't lay it down [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]