Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: project to collect handhistories

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like this project could easily be turned into bot making, and that is -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the point of view.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like this project could easily be turned into bot making, and that is -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. It's the University of Chicago. I'm not too worried.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, does this Chicago undergrad know anything about poker? Does Levitt?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure dchandler321 can set the record straight on this, but from the website it sounds like they're doing a straight behavioral analysis -- you're much more likely to get back advice that says something like "you tend to win small and lose big. Try to stick around longer when you're up, and realize you're tilting faster and stand up before you lose a bundle" than you are to get something like "You overplay KQo from early position."

Serious, in-depth, Sklansky-like poker strategy knowledge isn't strictly necessary for what they're doing.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 AM

I'm having problems uploading my HH.

And I say definitely give him the data. Free shirt and book here I come!!!!!!!111
Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM

what I think they're likely to come back with is: people who raise all the time and people who raise none of the time lose. so raise a medium amount. don't expect any kind of poker-sophisticated techincal insight. my impression from discussion about his baseball writing is that he's very aggressive and arrogant with very facile ideas.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my impression from discussion about his baseball writing is that he's very aggressive and arrogant with very facile ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the same with just about every famous writer in the last couple centuries though. if you don't sound as though you think you're hot [censored], who will?

I'm thinking there will be a fair amount of number crunching in this project. It may or may not put forth anything meaningful but I can see them figuring out what kind of table environment is ideal for which types of players (e.g. your best table might be at 35% VPIP but it starts to decline at 40).
Old 07-07-2005, 01:44 PM

Default << UPDATE REGARDING FILE UPLOADS >>

Thank you very much to everyone who has unsuccessfully tried to upload a file.

Those of you who emailed support@pokernomics.com will receive an email when we are 100% confident that the server will be functional. Anyone who has experienced trouble uploading who would like to be added to the current list of people who will be notified when it works can send an email to support@pokernomics.com with the subject header "Notify Me".

Sorry again for any inconveniences. Our tech people are continually working on this and we hope to have it operational as soon as possible.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: << UPDATE REGARDING FILE UPLOADS >>

I was able to upload mine last night (I think). Will we get some sort of confirmation email that they have been successfully received?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: << UPDATE REGARDING FILE UPLOADS >>

Yes. I've been having to deal with the tech problems and did not get around to emailing the successful uploads yet. But there were 5 successful uploads during a time period when it was working. I will be emailing those people right now.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Default ** UPDATE AS OF 1:40PM CT ** UPLOADS ONLINE

As of now, it appears that the upload mechanism IS working.

However, if you've sent an email to support@pokernomics.com asking to be on the list to be notified when it's definitely working, I am holding off sending that email until i'm certain that this basic capability is working.

Thanks again for your patience while we've been working through this.