Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Flopped Flush Gets Reraised

1/2 No Limit B&M 11 Handed

UTG1 calls $2
MP1 calls $2
CO calls $2
Button calls $2 (Villian $300)
Hero ($200) in SB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls $1
BB Checks

Flop 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($12)

Hero checks
BB checks
MP1 checks
CO bets $7
Villian calls $7
Hero raises to $25
BB folds
MP1 folds
CO folds
Button raises to $50

Hero?

It was early in the game and it was the first time I played with Villian. So, no real read.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Flopped Flush Gets Reraised

cold call then minraise on your raise seems to indicate higher flush.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:13 PM

tricky one. This could easily be top pair trying to protect against a naked diamond. Flush over flush is not all that common so i'm thinking you are probably ahead, but any more diamonds sink you. I think villain has a set or the Ace of diamonds. Problem is you are either slightly ahead, or WAY behind, because if he has the diamond flush, its gotta be better than yours. Good example of why you probably shouldn't play 9 3 suited [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm really undecided on what to do here, but I think i'd call and bet the pot on any non-diamond turn. If he raises, then you pretty much have to call because of stack sizes. If he has me beat then he's probably getting my money here. Maybe i'm reckless though, i'd love to here some other thoughts here.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:26 PM

i don't think that villian would play a set like this...that doesn't make sense to me; i think he'd raise the initial better if he had one, and the min reraise would be pretty dumb. the more i think about it the more i think he has a flush. he just called the initial bet, which could mean that he wanted other callers, and he minreraised your bet b/c he doesn't seem to be worried about a diamond hitting the turn. also, i don't think a hand like Ad 10 would play this way...if he was going to make a play on you i think he'd reraise bigger. this looks like a flush; i don't think you should reraise him. however, i don't really think that you should fold either b/c you have no read on him yet. i think calling is the best play. call and see what villian does on the turn; maybe you'll be able to get a better read...tough hand.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm interested to know how this hand-played out. I find spots like this (weak flush OOP facing a small re-raise) to be quite challenging.

If I were in your spot, I probably would lead at that pot, rather than going for a check-raise. If you do try the check-raise, I think you need to raise more than $25 - something like $30 to $35 seems right. My main goal would be to win the pot on the flop.

Given that you were min-raised after the call from the button, I DON'T think you're looking at the made nut-flush. I think the nut flush calls to the river and then makes a raise, since villain likely would put you on a draw or a weaker flush. I do think there's a strong chance you're facing the lone Ad, maybe with a pair, OR a "monster draw" like QJ with a diamond.

After the min-raise, I'd choose one of two paths: (1) I call and push any non-diamond, non-pairing turn (2) I call and try to play a cheap pot by checking it down, probably calling a decent bet on the end as long as no 4 flush comes.

I'd take the first line if my impression were the min-raise is a feeler-type bet, or a set up to take the pot away, and that I had reasonable fold equity. I'd take the second line if I thought I had marginal fold equity (say if I felt like the lone Ad were calling with a pair).
Old 07-08-2005, 07:26 AM

I put him on a set or A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10. I reraised all in and he called and showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I could have easily gotten away from this hand with deeper stacks. I don't know if it would be possible (for me, atleast) to get away from this with only $200.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 AM

how do you like this line? call and push all in on the turn if no diamond hits.

if he has a lone A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] you save the money if he makes the nuts on the turn. if he has a higher flush you have some chance to keep your money. if he has the unlikely set, it sucks.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:37 AM

I think he should play 93s in the sb.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you like this line? call and push all in on the turn if no diamond hits.

if he has a lone A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] you save the money if he makes the nuts on the turn. if he has a higher flush you have some chance to keep your money. if he has the unlikely set, it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats no good - if he will get it in now with the bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then push it now - he has only 7 outs - so we are a monster fave right now (if he has the bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).
Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 AM

Tough spot - but he almost certainly has the nuts. I dont like to check-raise as it makes everybody 100% certain what you have and they can get away from worse hands (like 2-pair, bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) easily. I like to lead at this and see what happens. If he raises me after I lead, then I lose all my money to his A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but if he calls to see a turn, I get away if its a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and try to figure out what to do if he minraises me.

The action, as it panned out - calling a bet, and then reraising (and minreraising no less) a check-raise just exudes so much strength that it must be the nuts (or maybe a K-flush).