Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 12:20 PM

Default Re: My meeting with David

On one of my Vegas trips, I walked up to Sklansky as he was going to cash out and introduced myself. He said a cold "hello" and kept walking to the cashier.

Initially, I felt "geez, I have been posting on his site for eons...at the very least, he could give me the time of day and make some other idle small talk". But it occurred to me that this scene (i.e. some 2+2'er walking up to him to make some small talk) must happen so regularly that he is absolutely sick of it.

So, I don't blame him for blowing me off.

In any event, I am happy to report that Mason has been very gracious to me on all of my visits to Vegas. My thanks to him for that as I am sure that he too must tire of talking poker with every "home town hero" that rolls into Vegas.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: My meeting with David

Are you sure he was cashing out and not buying chips? Seems every other time someone has mentioned seeing DS he has been buying chips ... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Interesting, some questions

I posted elsewhere (perhaps in the thread that Rick started) that Mason should consider raising on the river if an Ace comes and the other chap bets. I also said that Mason should just call if the VGP bets on a river Jack or river Ten.

Agree?
Old 06-22-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About (WHO WON THE HAND?)

who won the showdown, sorry i looke thru most of the posts and could not find the answer
Old 06-22-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About (WHO WON THE HAND?)

He's notorious for that. (not giving the result)
Old 06-22-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

wow, interesting response, I would never have thought about betting any of those hands. Can you point to the chapter or section in the book where I can read more about that issue? I have the book, I just don't want to scramble to find it, and risk missing the section.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 AM

Default Pocket pair is the most obvious hand i can put him on

I would say maybe a Pair of TT? or ATs or AJs with 3 to a flush. I think this is resonable because it would lend him to call pre-flop... and also to call a late bet against a possible steal with outs. Also the check behind you on the turn would make sense because if he is already beat he will get called (with a low pair) and if not it could induce a bluff. So him checking behind you could be TT or something similar.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:11 AM

Mason,

I think you played reasonably well there. Considering the very good player in middle position called you on the flop he could of had those pocket 7s in Mp. But I can't see him having them on the river when you bet and he didn't checked raised. Yes you did practice what you preached in HPFAP by checking the turn. The board was non-threating unless there was a made hand already like a set of 7s. So by checking vs a possible made hand you save yourself some bets. Yes if he is on the draw then yes you might lose some bets there but I think you are waiting to see what happens on the river. My guess is that you put him on the trip 7s early on in the hand but on the river with no check raise I don't think you can any longer put him on trip 7s. The only other thing I can put MP on is maybe AKo. Is he capable of playing AKo in this fashion?

I'm still a new player for the most part but am I heading in the right direction on this one with my train of thought?

Ed S.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:10 AM

If the read on the turn is he wont call a bet on turn but he'll call most any river on a "I can beat a bluff" then the check is fine. The chances are rather slim that he'll draw out on ya. However I still fire. I believe there is the chance that this type player may call down the last position "forced to bet" bettor too often anyways and give me 2 BB.

ALSO, there is the chance he has the A7h, A8h and wants to try a check-raise semi-bluff against a "bluffer" from last position.Then you can take a 3rd bb from him 3-betting the turn. It would be interesting to know what you think his thoughts and actions were or would be to betting turn.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:22 PM

Did your opponent have AQ offsuit?