Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Cheaters never win...

Hi TM,

Friend, you need to relax. This post was intended as humor at my expense. Your original reponse was a bit curt and harsh, therefore, you're getting a backlash from the others.

[ QUOTE ]
He says the players tight, and at least some what intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually, I said he was very loose passive. So the odds of him playing an 8 with any kicker is very possible.
[ QUOTE ]
Thus he not the usual fish at the table. Whys he playin 8-4 preflop for a raise?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, he is the usual fish because he plays almost every hand preflop and sees the river with any smidgen of hand. He also limped in front of me, and then called my raise.
[ QUOTE ]
Then not raiseing you on the flop, but betting out on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ] Doing so also makes him a weak player. His actions are illogical and played on a whim. His correct play was to check-raise on the flop or turn, if we're talking strategy.

My call down was weak and I admitted it. I just needed to see his hand. FWIW, he busted out an hour later thanks to me and another TA player. Seemed like I played him better when I didn't see his card.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 AM

i had a situation very similar to this at Turning Stone a couple months ago... i was playing some low limit hold 'em and was in the 2-seat... the woman in the 6-seat was shuffling her cards a little too high and without any effort i knew both cards for every hand she had. now i don't care how moral any of you are, nobody leaves a situation such as this. even the FISHiest poker players in the world know this rule: don't show anybody your cards.

now i considered an even trade: in exchange for me sitting there, knowing every hand she played and playing every hand against her perfectly, after she got up from the table, i got up as well and told her to stop shuffling her cards. from my tone, it was quite obvious to her what was happening. she gave the reaction i expected; one of surprise yet graciousness, as i saved her future in cards. now i consider that a fair trade, no?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 AM

-You didn't cheat. You did, however, play the hand badly. I think you know both of these things.

-When I can see a neighbor's card(s), I tell him/her. If I still can, I tell him/her again. There is a great reason for doing this, and a good reason. The great reason is the Golden Rule: I would like to have the same treatment were the positions reversed. The good reason is that after you move to seat 1, the new player in seat 5 will have an advantage on you. If after telling the player twice that I can see his/her card(s), I suggest that as soon as seat 1 or 9 is available, that he/she take it; since he/she will have no parallel neighbor in those seats, it will be less of a problem.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-You didn't cheat. You did, however, play the hand badly. I think you know both of these things. [ QUOTE ]

I agree

[ QUOTE ]

-When I can see a neighbor's card(s), I tell him/her. If I still can, I tell him/her again. There is a great reason for doing this, and a good reason. The great reason is the Golden Rule: I would like to have the same treatment were the positions reversed. The good reason is that after you move to seat 1, the new player in seat 5 will have an advantage on you. If after telling the player twice that I can see his/her card(s), I suggest that as soon as seat 1 or 9 is available, that he/she take it; since he/she will have no parallel neighbor in those seats, it will be less of a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that if I couldn't protect my cards correctly while viewing them, I would want someone to know my hand, and take my money, because I clearly shouldn't be playing there anyway.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am sorry I don’t write out every word. I use abbreviations as well and <font color="red">conjunctions</font>,

[/ QUOTE ]
"Contractions", perhaps?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Sometimes a player thinks they're protecting their cards adequately, but they're not. It's not that they can't do it, it's just that they're not. And if it is the case that they just can't do it well, then the 1 or 9 seat afford the most protection. I know a bunch of players who can't see the board too well. So they always take the 5 seat to be directly in front of it. No biggie.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Default andyfox

Great points, Andy. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I can see a neighbor's card(s), I tell him/her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think DS tell him/her?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:25 PM

When players are flashing their cards, you need to tell them that they are. Using that information is cheating and can get you kicked out of many card rooms. Discreetly inform him to hide his cards better after you fold a hand.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 PM

fyi, you werent cheating by looking at hs hole card