Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 08:43 AM

Default How do I close the deal at the final table?

Last night I made it to my 5th career FT. There are 6 people left and I was 2nd in chips. No joke there was 15 all ins with the all in person winning each time and I had to settle for 6th out of 400 on Pokerstars. Im never sure what I should steal with when the blinds as high as 8000-16000.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: How do I close the deal at the final table?

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I made it to my 5th career FT. There are 6 people left and I was 2nd in chips. No joke there was 15 all ins with the all in person winning each time and I had to settle for 6th out of 400 on Pokerstars. Im never sure what I should steal with when the blinds as high as 8000-16000.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, let's try to keep this in perspective. Once you get to the final table it's basicly a STT with all 10 finalists starting with varying amount of chips. Now if you had went 5 consecutive SNG's without a 1st, that would not be anything out of the ordinary, neither is this. Now if you had went to the final table as chipleader in the majority of these tornaments it might begin to say something about your play.
As for your question, I think you asking the wrong one. When I'm at the Final table it's most often not about what cards I should steal with, but "where" should I steal from and "who" should I steal against, the latter being the most important.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:55 AM

I concur with Pepsquad. From the sound of your post, you played tight hoping short stacks would lose their chips. You have to stay aggressive, especially 6 handed.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM

THe last hand i had 40k in chips. I got pocket KK.. Guy raises to 20k i go all in.. He has AA.. Thats just sh*t luck
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats just sh*t luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Thats why you are losing, because you can't beat AA.

Relax, practice with some 1, 2, and 3 table SNGs. I made 7 final tables before getting my first win--- nobody ever said it was easy...
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THe last hand i had 40k in chips. I got pocket KK.. Guy raises to 20k i go all in.. He has AA.. Thats just sh*t luck

[/ QUOTE ]

You get busted from the tourney on this hand if it was level 1, let alone the Final Table. Are you implying that all of your bustouts in these tournies are similar to this? If so, it looks like you're fishing for sympathy rather than asking a sincere question. You're right, KK running into AA is just sh*t luck. It also has NOTHING to do with your task at hand...finding the proper level of aggression at the Final table.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Anyways congrats on making final table. How much did you win for 6th place and what was the buy in?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 PM

It was a small tourney $10 buyin. $210 I got.. First place was a little over a grand. My best was $1072 3rd place in an 11+R tourney.