Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: I\'m not ranked, and it pissed me off......why should/do I care? (long)

What's more important: your ego or the money? It seems like if you get the respect you deserve, the profits will go down, and vice versa. If you want to be known around the firehouse as the big time poker player, it'll cost you, literally.

Usually, I have the opposite problem, constantly trying to be seen as the "suckout king" or whatever. In the rare case when I get the money in with the worst of it, and hit, I try to advertise as much as possible. "The game is pure luck.". "Look, the worst hand always wins.", etc, etc, bringing as much attention as possible to my "lousy" hand. Next time I've got the nuts, I'll get plenty of action.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: I\'m not ranked, and it pissed me off......why should/do I care? (long)

so start a list of the worst poker playing firefighters.. and only list him.

he sounds like a douchebag, you shouldn't care what he thinks (or at least let it bother you so much.)
Old 07-06-2005, 08:10 AM

It's funny - - the point of poker is to win money. He's done something here which should help you win more money, and you're upset.

Ego really is a killer.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 AM

I don't think you are a mental midget but you are not looking at this from the proper perspective. The guy is doing you a huge favor, helping you fly under the radar. If I was the best player in a game I would be be happy if someone went around telling everyone what a fish I was.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:52 PM

I knew that not being ranked is a good thing.....I could look at it logically and KNOW that being under the radar is the best route (I am sure most of the cash game poker pro's in Vegas are "no names", and would do anything to keep it that way. That is why it bothered me that it bothered me.

Also to clarify, I hardly ever play them in real poker, the only exception is the tourney he holds every so often.

Atleast I figured out that its probably a normal response to get pissy when the ego takes a hit, but that I should also recognize that being under the radar is what I want.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 05:09 PM

Your looking for your "feeling of importance"
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 PM

Why do you play poker? Must be for the recognition? If you play to make money then you wouldn't care if you are ranked. In fact it takes the bounty off head and makes you more of a sleeper when you play.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:22 AM

You use the frase: a buddy of mine on the job.
That's what this is about.
Don't loose this buddy of yours on the job, just becouse of minor disagreements.
He probably was angry about you for something you weren't aware of, and in reaction did not rank you.
Concider making him a compliment, about his pokerskill, or even better, about his performence on the fire-job.
I wouldn't be suprised if this buddy on the job envys ur skills.
Don't let trivials like poker get in the way.
A good buddy on the job, especially in ur field is golden!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: I\'m not ranked, and it pissed me off......why should/do I care? (l

If some maniac fish didn't rate me, I'm not going to cry about it, infact, I might smile.