Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
Tommy Angelo 86 78.18%
Shillx 24 21.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Quick help - flipped up cards before saying anything

As another poster said, just follow whatever rules you have. If you don't have a rule, now's a good time to make one. If I was player 1 I would just sit there and wait for player 2 to either call or fold, because in my game the cards are live until you either muck them or say fold.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 PM

In the games I play in (home games), that's simply flipping for a reaction, which is allowed based on our rules. I say that it's a call, because the cards were not flipped up in the direction of the folded cards, nor did there seem to be any intention of folding. Thus, it's a call.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:38 AM

In my home game, only one kid has ever done it. He misused it which made it the funniest part. On the river, it's King, 9, 8, 5, 2. No flush possibility. Player 1 bets, Player 2 flips over his pocket Queens, to try and get a read (this kid is a moron and doesn't know how to read anyone). Says something like, "I don't think you got this beat, I KNOW you don't have this beat." And raises him. Player 1 raises all in. Player 2 folds. Player 1 shows his pair of nines.
I consider flipping your cards to be poor etiquette and this is when the home game was just getting started. I tried to move to make it illegal, along with talking about your hand. But everyone else wanted to allow it simply because of that one instance.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 PM

At 6 AM this morning, on my deal, 3-handed. I've got around 33 dollars in chips, person to my left has 26, 27, and then the big blind has maybe 4 dollars left. (We were finishing up)

I deal and I accidently deal my last card face up, it's a 9. I say I don't really care I could play the hand and the player whos house it is and the big blind agree that we could play the hand as is. (As it turns out, the big blind, short-stacked, has pocket Jacks)
(Note: I did not look at my down card yet when I said I could play the hand anyway, and did not look at it until we decided to continue the hand)

My down card is a King. Flop is 10 J [brick] I figure to try something tricky and bet out a little bit. He looks at my 9 and calls my dollar bet. Turn is a queen. with an open ended straight showing face up, I push him all in. He calls with his trip jacks and I show my other card, the kingm to take the pot when the river bricks : )
Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 AM

Robert's Rules:

Section 15: Tournaments

# 21) "Showing cards from a live hand during the action injures the rights of other players still competing in an event, who wish to see contestants eliminated. A player in a multihanded pot may not show any cards during a deal. Heads-up, a player may not show any cards unless the event has only two remaining players, or is winner-take-all. If a player deliberately shows a card, the player may be penalized (but his hand will not be ruled dead). Verbally stating one’s hand during the play may be penalized. "
Old 07-13-2005, 08:52 PM

P2 never announced his move (call or fold) before P1's comment. In a HU situation, I believe P2 is allowed to flip his cards to try and get a read from his opponent, as long as they don't touch the muck pile. P1 didn't have a right to call P2's move. It's a call in my book, although poorly done if you consider the etiquette of it all.