Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Work Takes Up Too Much Time

Lately, when I play 3-4 hours of poker in a day, I think later "where did the whole freakin' day go?"

I wouldn't know how to handle a 9-5 job anymore.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like not enough time for me to pursue my interests.

[/ QUOTE ]
So ur doing something while u know u should be doing the other thing, lol
Going to the movies, then is a waist of time; u could have gotten lucky when going to the disco!
It's just ur hormones talking, dude.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 AM

there are like 3-5 future homeless people in this thread
Old 07-07-2005, 09:15 AM

Work is a pain in the ass.

Working 40 hours a week is nothing though. Try 60-70. Then you can start complaining.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 AM

I have to work 60 for 3 months per year. Then, I feel like I am playing catch up for the rest of the year. Americans work more hours than any other nation in the industrialized world. We work more than Great Britain, France, and even Japan. We average 200 more hours per year now than we did in 1970. All in the name of productivity, huh? I thought technology was supposed to do that. Wasn't that the promise of technology? Why are we not reaping the benefits of the increase in production that technology brings?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 AM

It just seems to me that most people are in the trap. That's what you're in when you work at a "real job." You only have a few ways out. Most people don't even realize they're in a trap at all....and when they do, it's too late.

The trap is this: You work in order to get the money in order to get the bills in order to survive. Over time, peoples' bills get higher and higher? Why? I think its mainly because their only satisfaction comes from the nice things that they own. So, if they get a promotion of that nets them an extra $500 per month. That could be $500 per month for a car payment, bass boat, entertainment (for example, gambling...all of you professional poker players are in the entertainment industry).

This ensures that they will never get out of the trap. Like I said, most people never even realize that the "trap" is there in the first place. They just say "that's the way it is" and move on. As a result, most people are net worth negative (even if you include retirement accounts). This means they will never get out of the trap because having money is one of the requirements. I am not a professional poker player because I need to replace about $44,000 a year in expenses in order to build (taxes are included in that expense). In addition, if you want to ever "get promoted" in the poker world, you have to make more than you spend. So, I would like to make an additional $16,000 (net of tax) for savings. This is $44,000 (taxes included) plus the $16,000 (taxes not included...it's about $20,800 gross). So that requires a gross income of $60,000. Now, at this point, you need to play at least 20/40 live to meet this requirement (not sure about online multitabling, however). If you want to live safe and to never have to go back to your old life, you might want a 500BB bankroll and 6 months of living expenses. That's $20,000 in bankroll and about $3,000/mo X 6 months for me ($18,000). That's $38,000. Of course, you're not assured of anything. My next paycheck isn't assured either (that's why 75% of Americans live only 2 months from bankruptcy which means their lives are a lot more risky than originally perceived. A professional poker player with proper bankroll and savings is actually at less risk than the average American.

I thought the American dream was to build from the ground like Carnegie or some of the others. It now seems like the American dream is to buy as much stuff as you can that you can't afford and be a slave to the banks and the stuff you own. "Sorry, I've got to go to work, honey, the bass boat and the car payment are due." Did it ever occur to this poor fellow that he doesn't own the bass boat, but it owns him. Did it ever occur to him that he doesn't work for himself, but that he works for the bass boat?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 AM

I know this is meant as a joke, but I'm not advocating that. Check out my post about the "trap" and you'll see my perception of how to get out of the "trap."
Old 07-07-2005, 12:55 PM

I've been thinking along these lines for quite some time now. Rent payments suck, car payments suck, insurance payments suck...they're all drains. Can't take a vacation because I need to pay my bills. It's a pathetic life to lead. I'm about friggin' done with it. I've always wanted to start a business, but the problem with that is they generally require a fair amount of capital to start. So it's this endless cycle. I thoroughly enjoy the concept of making money while I sleep. That's going to be my primary focus over the next couple months. Sucks that we're only one unique idea away from early retirement, yet we'll either never think of it, or never follow through on it.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rent payments suck, car payments suck, insurance payments suck...they're all drains.

[/ QUOTE ]
True... but having a roof over your head, a car to drive around in, and insurance when something bad happens - those things DON'T suck.

I actually like my job (most days) - but sure, I'd like some more free time. Who wouldn't? But that's life. Lots of unemployed people just wish they had A JOB. Or lots of people who have to work 2 low-paying jobs to get by, wish they only had to work 40 hours a week.

Not saying that you can't dream of something better. But the fact is, we need income in order to live/support our families/send our kids to school/etc.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 PM

I agree with you...but I think the spirit of this thread is that there has to be a better way. It's safe to assume (especially if you eliminate the WPT forum, heh) that the average IQ of posters on this site is significantly above average. It's very frustrating to be of above average intelligence, especially a few standard deviations above, and feel like a slave to "the man/system".