Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Best choice for profit and development as player

[ QUOTE ]
So.... play 2 tables of 5/10 and hope that I can eventually move up to 10/20? Or just grind grind grind the 3/6 for profit?

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, and go with the 1st one.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 PM

it completely depends. I am in the same situation as you. My bankroll is WAYYYY too big for 3-6. Yet in my case, I am a college student that pays his own bills, and poker is my only job. By no means am I planning on going pro after graduation, so my only concern is being most profitable $/hr.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you put in about 7k hands a week 3-4 tabling

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm forcing myself to two table right now after a 35k breakeven stretch 4-tabling. Needless to say, I won't be getting anything close to 7k hands per week.

[/ QUOTE ]
This may sound goofy, but for me there is a world of difference between 3 and 4 tabling, especially when games go really short. Anyway, I think if you can do 2 tables, adding a 3rd isn't exponentially harder.

And as far as levels are concerned - imagine you had never played 5/10 and you were currently beating up 3/6 short like you did this weekend. You wouldn't think twice about hitting 5/10. It's the natural progression.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I vote stay at 5/10. 3/6 isn't extraordinarily soft by any means. I'd say it's approximately the same softness as 5/10 if you have good table selection.

That said I'm in the same boat as you. 5/10 2-tabling it is. Once I'm feeling more confident and playing better, I will move back up.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
especially when games go really short

[/ QUOTE ]

I switch tables if it gets 4-handed, unless the players are really bad and passive. I just can't adjust well enough to play that short.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:35 PM

I think the most profitable long term would to do what improves your play, even if it means sacrificing short term.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM

I would not drop down to 3/6 - your growth as a player would be stunted IMO. My advice would be to play two 5/10 tables and add a third for 20% of your play. Steadily increase that percentage as you become more comfortable. Then when your bankoll allows work in the 10/20 game, two tabling, for 10% of your playing time. Increase this percentage gradually until you are playing exclusively at the 10/20 game - then starting adding a third. I don't think it wise to make a clean jump to the 10/20 from the 5/10 regardless of your winrate at 5/10. IMO you are better off easing your way into the 10/20 by playing some and posting alot. In some respects the 10/20 game isn't tougher, it's just different. Tackling the game incrementally will assist both your bankroll and sanity.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:02 PM

if you drop to 3/6 ill come pwn you at every table.