Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Played fishy, lost stack, same old story.....how long to come back

Play limit holdem instead of NL
Old 07-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Played fishy, lost stack, same old story.....how long to come back?

I believe my problem is that I have one of the two!

I am generally a winning player over 20K hands bb/100 wise, but I tend to get in over my head. I need to learn how to play within myself, and get up when I tilt.

I tend to move up when I lose to an idiot rather than down or quit for the day. This has become my downfall on more than one occasion.

I recently uninstalled all of my poker software [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], so Im not sure my exact numbers, but I was between 1 and 2 BB/100.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:45 PM

20,000 hands is not enough of a sample size to know for sure if you are a winning player.

Moving up in limits when you are losing to suckouts is horrible. If you can't beat the idiots, you sure as hell aren't going to beat people who know what they're doing.

You definitely need to rethink your poker strategy in general. It doesn't matter how good you play the game. If you can't properly manage all the money managment and game selection issues surrounding the game, you won't be successful.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely need to rethink your poker strategy in general. It doesn't matter how good you play the game. If you can't properly manage all the money managment and game selection issues surrounding the game, you won't be successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! This is what I need to know, how do I get this part of my game in check?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play limit holdem instead of NL

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. u still just have to play propperly for ur br. its just the rules for what playing propperly for ur br r dif from limit.

an extra table does make it easier to play tighter. but u want to become a better player. if u play more than one table u will not be getting everything u can from just one table.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you! This is what I need to know, how do I get this part of my game in check?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming from the original post that your bankroll was around $1000? If that's true, then you shouldn't be playing higher than 1/2. 2/4 is borderline at that point if you follow to 300BB rule ($1,200). What limits were you playing? I also would make a rule not to move up in limits until you have consistently proven that you can beat the current limit. By that time, you should also have enough winnings so that you are properly bankrolled for the next limit as well.

In my case, I've easily got the bankroll to play 3/6 (actually, I have more than enough to play 5/10). But a lot of this is due to bonus whoring, and I've been treading water for the past 10,000 hands or so at 2/4 courtesy of a couple 100BB and one 150BB downswing. So I'm not going to make the move to 3/6 until I get past this stalling point. It sucks, but that's the way it goes. You just need to set up some rules to manage your bankroll, and have the discipline to follow them.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:22 PM

This 300 bb rule (which is commonly regarded as too small) applies to limit hold'em and refers to big bets, not NL big blinds.

Since a buy in in NL can often be 50 or 100 big blinds, you need to have WAY more. One of the NL types can suggest a more appropriate bankroll in terms of buyins.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:28 PM

Yeah, you're right. I didn't see any mention of limit vs. no limit, so I just assumed limit. Might be the wrong assumption.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This 300 bb rule (which is commonly regarded as too small) applies to limit hold'em and refers to big bets, not NL big blinds.

Since a buy in in NL can often be 50 or 100 big blinds, you need to have WAY more. One of the NL types can suggest a more appropriate bankroll in terms of buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

as an almost exclusive nl player, i would recommend 20 max buyins for the stakes you are playing, at a bare minimum.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as an almost exclusive nl player, i would recommend 20 max buyins for the stakes you are playing, at a bare minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably about even with a 300BB bankroll for limit. Ie, you'll see downswings that size every few hundred thousand hands.

The entire bankroll thing is also tainted by a major misconception: That you can have a static bankroll. Your bankroll has to grow. (300BB is for a 3BB/100 winner with a modest variance who reinvests all his winnings in his bankroll. And he still has a ~0.5% chance of going bust before bloating his roll.)