Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2003, 01:23 PM

Default KK under assault

Loose LL online table with medium aggression. SB is short-stacked. Lot's of action on this one.

I have K[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 1 off the button. First 3 players limp, 2 folds, player to my left (PTMR) raises, I 3-bet, button folds, SB cold-calls, BB folds, every one else calls. 6 players.

Flop is 5[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. SB bets, EP1 calls, EP2 raises, EP3 folds, PTMR 3-bets, I 4-bet, SB calls, EP1 folds, call, call. 4 players left.

Turn is T[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] [5[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]]: SB bets all in, EP2 raises, PTMR 3-bets, I call, EP2 4-bets, PTMR calls, I call.

River is Q[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], [T[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]]: EP2 bets, PTMR raises, I call 2, EP2 3-bets, PTMR calls, I call.

1. Tell me what was out there.
2. Rate my play.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Re: KK under assault

I'm probably way off here, but I will take a shot at it.

SB = Missed Diamond Draw - Probably the nuts since he called the pre-flop raises (Ad with Q to 9 kicker)

EP2 = Set - probably the 10's becasue of the over pair to the flop and then no slowing him down figuring that none of you were looking for the runner runner straight.

PTMR = Pocket A's - thought he had the best hand and wasn't about to let it go.

You = Kings no good.

With all that being said I'm probably way off and someone got there with the straight to beat two pair, but I took a chance.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:12 PM

Comments on your read later.

What do you think about me calling 3 bets on the turn, and then 2 more on the river?
Old 06-20-2003, 04:39 PM

SB: short-stacked in a small limit game... he could have anything. He might be bored, ready to give up, etc. I'll guess JT. He's psyched about the ten on the turn and throws in his last cash... maybe he has 34s, maybe he has a set. Anyways, I don't let this guy effect my thinking about how to play my hand. If he beats me, oh well.

EP2: 9T of diamonds. He plays cheap preflop, but hits the flop big. It just gets better on the turn, so he never backs off.

PTMR: KQ of diamonds. He's got overcards, a flush draw, and even picked up a gutshot straight draw on the turn. He raises when his queen hits, but doesn't feel good about the caller / 3-bet behind him and just calls the river.

As for your play: in a low-limit game with an overpair, it's hard to ever let go. The only place I can imagine you might get away from the hand is facing 3-bets in front of you on the turn. You showed big strength by capping the flop, and there are three players who have shown no fear of you. You might have been better off folding in that spot.

-Eric

PS Of course, I don't know what they had... here are some other thoughts and elliminations:

straight is unlikely. The only possibility would be EPT2 holding KJ of diamonds and overplaying his flush draw. Certainly possible in a low limit game, but I wouldn't fear it.

A set could be out there. EPT is most likely, though PTMR could have one and wussed out on the river, having been the recipient of a few runner-runner straight draw in a low-limit game more than once (not likely). EPT may even have QQ.

Regardless, I think you're beaten, but only had one chance to lay it down, for 3-bets on the turn. Even then, I don't think your call is terrible in a LL game. Once the pot was that big, you had to call on the river with your overpair, IMO. EPT may have be overplaying AT of diamonds, with PTMR sticking in with JJ. For that matter, they might hold top pair and middle pair... Not likely, but worth the chance with such a huge pot. Some players are just bad.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:52 PM

Hey its always hard to laydown a big starting hand but I think in this situation I would of laid it down when the turn was 3 bet....If you think you had the best hand you would of been betting instead of calling, right? (I didn't go back and re-read the betting on the turn so if you were betting and then called the cap sorry if I remembered wrong.)

Now the other thing that were all making our comments based upon is a lack of individual player info. We know the table was Mid Aggressive (what does that mean anyway?) If we knew more about the individual players then we could comment more. Were they tight/aggressive, maniacs, etc?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:06 PM

Pre-flop: Good.

Flop: EP2 is the only one I'm concerned about here. I think it's close between raising and folding. This would depend on the quality of players you are up against.

Turn: Horrible. Folding is the best here, no question. Your only hope is that SB is betting all-in on a draw, EP2 has 2 pair, and PTMR is overplaying KK, QQ, or JJ, or he's a maniac. The chances of this being the case is WELL less than the pot odds you're getting with 3 bets to you. Note that you're still behind in this case too.

River: See turn. What can you beat here given the action?

My reads: SB has a draw that didn't make it, probably nut diamonds. EP2 has a set of 9s or 5s. PTMR has AA, KK, QT, or TT (doubtful).