Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Resultist play with QQ?

I just started playing 6-handed $2/$4 NL on stars a couple weeks ago and my results have been very up and down. Fortunately I am still ahead after about 400 hands but one hand I wanted to talk about is QQ because it keeps kicking my ass. I have been dealt QQ in this 6-handed game 4 times now and I have lost three huge pots and won the blinds once. I have tallied up about $400 worth of losses from QQ (The one time I won with it I got the blinds : /) and Im wondering if I should be adjusting my play based on these results or if I've just been getting unlucky or am I being a donk. I ran into AA which won a big pot unimproved, I ran into AK and he flopped A A 4, and this last time I ran into AA and that held up as well.
The first time I held QQ I raised MP+1 to about 12 with $210 and the UTG limper reraised me to about 30 which I called. I pushed on a safe looking flop (all unders) and got my stack taken.
The second time I had QQ I had only about $70 chips left and raised utg to $16. Next position called and BB went all in for about $630 preflop. The guy that cold called my raise called this bet also for another $150 and the final board looked like A-A-4-4-8.
The last time I had QQ was last night with about $400 and UTG I raise it up to $12. SB cold calls me and villain in BB reraises to $32. At this point I just dont believe it's possible for me to run into AA with QQ again so I make the call and the small blind leaves. The villain pushes on a flop of 9 9 4 and I call and lose about $200 to another AA.
One common link is that I am first to raise the pot and they have always reraised me with their AA preflop. In the future is there any reason for me to regard a preflop reraise as to mean AA or KK? I feel like if I fold preflop to a reraise with QQ that is an extremely weak play but so far I have been wrong twice and it's stinging. Any comments or advice are appreciated...
Old 07-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Resultist play with QQ?

why do you think it is so rare for QQ to run in to AA or KK?

you have better reads on your opponents than us so what hand range do you put them on for reraising preflop?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 PM

In a six-handed game I think they could have TT-AA or AK or possibly AQs or AJs. I mean I know AA and KK are possible and they pretty much have me dead and im only a coin flip to the hand I hope he has but thats why I just called the preflop reraise and called off the rest of my stack on the safe looking fop. but like the subject says I was being resultist (i.e this happened a week ago how can it possibly happen again)
My instincts told me he had a big hand as he wasnt overly aggressive and had been involved in very few hands but it is common for one to not always trust their instincts.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:37 PM

I think pushing the flop here is poor play... you're either way ahead here or way behind. Unless you have a strong read on the player you've gotta be suspicious of limp/re-raise as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The first time I held QQ I raised MP+1 to about 12 with $210 and the UTG limper reraised me to about 30 which I called. I pushed on a safe looking flop (all unders) and got my stack taken.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2005, 05:23 AM

Seems to me that you would do much better if you folded QQ after getting reraised preflop. That way you wont talk yourself into believing that the UTG limp-reraiser couldnt possibly have AA on a 942 flop !!

Alternatively you could call and get it in when you hit a Q, but not put a single cent in otherwise.

QQ is good and all but I dont like going around pushing it postflop after I got reraised preflop too often.