Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2003, 01:45 PM

Default New player tells - any advice

Let me start by saying I loved playing with a table full of a combination of fish and newbies. I took approx. $350 off these people in $5 poker in about 4 hours or so. For the most part I played great cards and seemed to be able to get some decent reads and laid down monster hands that would of come in second place a couple of times.

There was little or no raising stragety, based on their hole cards or postion. I was able to slow them down many times with check raises or re-raises, which allowed me to make my straights and flushes. Because I seemed to have this presence of the winner at the table I was also able to bluff alot as well.

Here is the question: Twice I caught high pocket pairs and made it three bets before the flop only to be called to the river and be shown once a higher pocket pair and the other time a set of Q's that was higher then my set of J's. I didn't mind getting beat a couple of times with great hands, wondered why they never bet them? but didn't mind because I think that it showed them that they had a chance to maybe stick it out and get back some of their cash.

Now I seemed to be reading these guys very well but on these two particular hands although they didn't give me much as far as how they bet they didn't give off the normal tells either. I didn't see the double checking of their hole cards, the sauce eyes when they made their hands, the double fisting when raising, or the betting out of postion because of their exciment. Any one have specific tells when playing with obviously new players?

Overall it was a great session, a table we all wish we could play on everytime. My only regret, if you could call it that was when a newbie and a regular got into a betting war pre-flop and I dropped pocket ducks only to watch them quad up on the flop which would of beaten both players A's and K's full for a large pot, maybe next time I call five raises with ducks, year right!