Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Responding to a B&M breach of etiquette?

(I originally posted this in the B&M forum, but I'm not sure it belonged there so I deleted that post and moved it to here.)

Last Friday I was sitting in a ridiculously soft low-limit game at Artichoke Joe's near San Francisco.

I'd been playing fairly tight-aggressive (really, too tight and definitely overplaying) for a couple hours, when a hand came up where I three-bet preflop and bet all the way to the river with KQs after flopping a Q. On the river, the third heart (not my suit) hit and a guy who called three cold preflop -- the only other one left in the hand -- raised my bet; I called his river raise, made a comment along the lines of "show me the hearts," and he turned over his rivered set of sevens.

I chuckled, made the appropriate mental note about a guy chasing less than a two-outer, and mucked my cards. Immediately, a player who had folded preflop asked to see my hand and the dealer obliged.

Now, I didn't say anything -- after all, it was "legal" for him to ask to see my cards and I wasn't really interested in tightening up the table by making a stink about it. But it occurred to me as I thought about it later that night that there has to have been a way for me to let that player know that I didn't appreciate the breach of etiquette, without necessarily upsetting the table vibe.

I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is, though.

Any suggestions? Was just letting it go (which I did at the time, but have since regretted) the most +EV move in that situation?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Responding to a B&M breach of etiquette?

Best response here if you don't want to say anything is to give him an icy stare while the cards are being shuffled and after they are dealt out. Or else give him a puzzled stare for same. That's a little less confrontational.

However I would simply ask him if he was accusing me of cheating and leave it at that.

NT
Old 07-05-2005, 03:17 PM

this happened to me last weekend. I had AQs and flopped top pair, villain calls me down and raises the river. Shows down a nasty little rivered gutshot with 74 or some such nonsense. I was probably a bit peeved, and when he asked the dealer to fish out my cards I said "go for it nothing I can say" or something, he starts going off about how it's his right. I say that I know it is, I said go for it. Kid was pretty much a tool.

About twenty minutes later I coldcall on the button with 66 after he raises several limpers. Flop is rags, checks to me I bet and only villain calls. turn is maybe a J or Q, check check. River is another purple horseshoe and villain checks. I stew for a bit and decide to value bet, villain hems and haws and calls, then instamucks when he sees my sixes. And of course I requested the dealer show me his AK.

that's how I handled it, not sure if it's right or not. It certainly made me feel better, and I think villain got the point.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:24 PM

You should have reached across the table and punched him directly in the nose, but not hard enough to cause any permanent damage like a break or bleeding, just enough so that his eyes get all teary and his mouth curls up like he's gonna start crying.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 AM

This happens to me sometimes at Canterbury Park ("Where there are no blanks and 74o turns to gold"). I always look at the guy ask him in a curious/wonderment tone "Why do you have to see those?"

I also like shant's move though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 AM

Hardly anyone even knows that this is technically not what the rule is supposed to be used for, and trying to teach people about it is like correcting the improper use of "who/whom" in spoken language -- it's a lost cause, and all it does is make you look like a schoolmarm.

a much better approach is to just accept this, let people look at your cards, and feel free to ask to see theirs whenever you want.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 AM

I would have responded with a standard 'Kick his ass' but this is much, much better:

[ QUOTE ]
You should have reached across the table and punched him directly in the nose, but not hard enough to cause any permanent damage like a break or bleeding, just enough so that his eyes get all teary and his mouth curls up like he's gonna start crying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 AM

Drag him out back and kill him.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:25 AM

no need to be peeved. you should welcome any players that cannot read hands into your small stakes games.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
trying to teach people about it is like correcting the improper use of "who/whom" in spoken language -- it's a lost cause, and all it does is make you look like a schoolmarm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I almost always manage to smile and say something like "man, you are my nemesis. Got me again." I want him coming back for more.

Usually many poor players will get the idea that "he only plays high cards." They have said this out loud about me because I am usually playing pretty tightly.

I never ask to see cards, but will ask the person after they muck once in awhile. Just for fun.