Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: An Observation about Intelligent Design

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is just an ignorant question, but if it is, hopefully there is a simple answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe God created the universe bigger than it "needs" to be because he wanted to give people who don't want to believe in him another excuse to doubt that he made it.

maybe making a big universe is just as easy for God as making a tiny one, so he said "what the hell, i'd rather make it huge."

if theres something "big" enough to be creating something as huge and complicated as the universe it's pretty pointless for us to expect that it be designed "like we would do it."
Old 07-05-2005, 07:25 PM

Your relativistic argument doesn't really address the OPs question. The rest of the universe aging tremendously while you travel can just as easily be considered a "design flaw."
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 AM

The OP said the design flaw was the size and the fact that humans can't go everywhere due to a maximum velocity which is the speed of light. This type of statement underlies a misunderstaning of special relativity that I was attempting to inform him about. According to special relativity, in principle we can get anywhere in the universe in as short a time as we like by traveling closer to the speed of light.

If the fact that we can't get anywhere at anytime is a flaw, then my living room has the same flaw.