Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 11:06 PM

Default 1/2 NL Live, AA Laydown?

Playing 1/2 NL in AC. I've been playing for a while and have a stack of $500. Villian in this hand just sat down approximately 6 hands ago. He's seen most flops so far (hasn't played post-flop except once when he showed down trips with JQ on a JJx board) and has a stack of approximately $300. (This happend a little bit ago, so the stack sizes and bets might be a little bit off, but don't get on my case about those discrepancies. It's should still be a fairly accurate portrayl.)

I have no real read on villian in this hand, and I suspect he has no real read of me.

Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. 4 limps, including villian who is on the button (this is normal). I raise to $15. Loosish guy in MP calls, as does button.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot: $50)

I lead out for $40. MP drops. Button raises to $90. I call.

Turn is a 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] putting flush on the board. (Pot: $230)

I check. Button bets $90. I call.

River is a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] putting 4 diamonds on the board. (Pot: $410)

I check. Button goes allin, approximately $100 or so. I call.

Final Pot Size: $610

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Live, AA Laydown?

I lay it down on the turn.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I lay it down on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failing that, the river. Unless you could see that the fourth diamond made him nervous. He goes all-in with four diamonds on the board and you don't have one? I fold.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:46 AM

I would be tempted to come back over the top of him on that flop to the tune of about $175 at least. If he has a set on the flop you're in trouble, but if he's drawing you better make him think twice about chasing. You KNOW you have the best hand on the flop, jam the pot.

I'm insta-folding that turn.

Couldn't you even fathom that you're beat on the turn, let alone the river? Tunnel vision man...AA can be cracked, believe it or not.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:01 AM

Is there any justification for calling on the river (ignoring folding on the other streets, that is) simply due to the large pot ($500) and the relatively small bet ($100) that you have to call? If that bet was reduced to say ($80), since I'm not precisely sure of the bet amounts, does that change the river call (from 5:1 to 6.25:1)?

From what I can remember about the player, he was a younger looking guy (probably right around 21) who was pretty quiet and had ordered a few drinks (but didn't appear drunk). He didn't do anything really overtly tell-like during the hand, as far as I can remember ... his river push, when checked to, was relatively quick.

I guess what I'm asking here is, on the river, what percentage chance do you think a guy like I've described and the way the hand played out is bluffing? How low does the river bet have to be before you're making that "I'm almost positive you have me, but goddammit it's just too small" call?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any justification for calling on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I NEVER call this river. You don't have a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. IMO this is an instant laydown.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I NEVER call this river. You don't have a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. IMO this is an instant laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never think someone's bluffing? There HAS to be a point at which you call a bet even if you think he's got the absolute nuts simply because the pot is too big to fold for such good odds. You'd call a $2 bet there, you'd be absolutely retarded if you didn't. What I'm asking for is where do you draw the line in this specific instance?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You never think someone's bluffing? There HAS to be a point at which you call a bet even if you think it's a bluff simply because the pot is too big. You'd call a $2 bet there, you'd be absolutely retarded if you didn't. What I'm asking for is where do you draw the line in this specific instance?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd have to be a micro bet. Like the $2 you said. Make that be the line that shall not be crossed.

Think about how often someone will bluff with 4 of a suit on board. To either call here, or bluff here is something I won't do. If they are bluffing, then good for them. Give them the pot. You only have a pair. Let AA go.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:20 AM

People don't have the stones to make bluffs like that at this level.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People don't have the stones to make bluffs like that at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find your responses amusing/interesting. In this particular case, I was the button. I held KJ of clubs and thought I had a decent read on the SB as not having a flush or a flush draw. This might have been a mistake, but it's just interesting to consider that if I had posted this from the button's position, most of you would have blasted me for making this bluff. Yet when I post this from the SB's position, you still blast that guy for making the call.

I absolutely could not believe he called my river bet. I consider it akin to a 2-outer. The reason I posted this wasn't to show my bluffing skills or post a "bad beat" but I was seriously concerned that the size of my stack had a negative effect on my fold equity; if I had had $150 left to push on the river, I still wonder if he would have folded ... I honestly don't know. From your responses, it seems that the size of the river bet should have been inconsequential at this point, as long as it wasn't ludicrous.

He seemed solid enough to give up something as ridiculous as a non-diamond AA on this river bet, but apparently that was not true. Good read on the cards, bad read on the player.

Anyway, thanks for reading.