Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Another AK hand early on. Suggestions welcome.

Again, AK seems to be my nemesis early in the tournament.

I think I overbet the flop, but I _really_ wanted everyone left to fold. Suggestions on what I could do instead?

Thanks

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
Hero (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t35, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls t35, MP1 calls t35, MP2 calls t35.

Flop: (t325) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t325</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t750 (All-In)</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls t425 (All-In).

Turn: (t1825) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1825) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1825
Old 07-05-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Another AK hand early on. Suggestions welcome.

yeah...overbet is the right word
problem with that is that it's hard to get away from when you're reraised. You only have TPTK and his reraise is telling you that you may be beat....

I dont think overbetting in situations like these is a good way to force people out (especially in the 11's that I play on Potty Poker). Most of the hands that you've been posting are aggressive which is great but you should also be thinking about the risks your taking. It's early in the game...tighten up here and save the agro moves for level 4 and up where people give you more respect.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 PM

There are a lot of chips in the pot. I don't think you should get away from TPTK when your stack is only 2x the pot. In fact, I think you underbet when you only raised to t50 preflop. I would have made it t100 at least, and depending on how people called, I push the flop.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 PM

If you are going to play your hand for a raise PF, raise more then $50. I would probably have made it $90-$100. I am pretty sure you did not overbet the pot, I think you made a pot sized bet on the flop. Once you bet the pot I think you are pretty much committed, and have to hope he just has an Ace with a weaker kicker. One thing to learn though is that a one pair hand is not a big hand in a multiway pot, even if you have a pair of Aces. Unless you can get all-in with Aces or Kings or Qs PF or in some cases after the flop with those hands, try not to commit your entire STT with a one pair hand the first round of the tourney, especially in a multihanded pot.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of chips in the pot. I don't think you should get away from TPTK when your stack is only 2x the pot. In fact, I think you underbet when you only raised to t50 preflop. I would have made it t100 at least, and depending on how people called, I push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2005, 11:37 PM

baron,
I think your first mistake was your PF raise. With 4 limpers behind you have to make this 100+ to go (my guess is 125-150 to get you heads up). 50 is just going to sweeten the pot and you're gonna have 6 players into the flop with a 300 pot. That's huge early on with with that many opponents and t800 to start. Any standard continuation bet (150-200) is really chopping your stack and with that pot building guys may stick around for longshot draws. Your best bet is to limp into this, try to play a smallish pot, and if you do take it down and guys see you have AK and played it the way you did, it will do a lot for your image- if they are not absolute unobservant donkeys.
I think 200 is gonna do the same as 325 as far as thinning the field on the flop and no matter what villian probably is pushing (with his set? or A9- yikes!).

Good luck,

yabastid
Old 07-05-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
baron,
I think your first mistake was your PF raise. With 4 limpers behind you have to make this 100+ to go (my guess is 125-150 to get you heads up). 50 is just going to sweeten the pot and you're gonna have 6 players into the flop with a 300 pot. That's huge early on with with that many opponents and t800 to start. Any standard continuation bet (150-200) is really chopping your stack and with that pot building guys may stick around for longshot draws. Your best bet is to limp into this, try to play a smallish pot, and if you do take it down and guys see you have AK and played it the way you did, it will do a lot for your image- if they are not absolute unobservant donkeys.
I think 200 is gonna do the same as 325 as far as thinning the field on the flop and no matter what villian probably is pushing (with his set? or A9- yikes!).

Good luck,

yabastid

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I keep PT stats on all the times I have AK. I have tried a number of approaches and none of them seem to be optimal. I either win the blinds (yay) or get crushed for all my chips when I make my hand. (ouch)
Old 07-05-2005, 11:48 PM

If you are playing the 11's just bet 200 on the flop and call a push. Sucks if somebody has a set but it happens.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:49 PM

i usually bet around 200 on the flop. other than that, its fine.

what'd you lose to?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually bet around 200 on the flop. other than that, its fine.

what'd you lose to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Set, as usual. In the "old days" I'd get shown a weak ace.