Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: turn min-raises are fun... good spot for it?

[ QUOTE ]
In general, I only like the turn minraise in an unraised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain any rational for this statement? I think I know what you're getting at but not quite sure.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:12 PM

gomberg-

I like your thought process here. Instead of minraising the turn and being torn as to whether or not to bet the river, I like going a little bigger on the the turn and checking behind the river. You get a little more value out of AK/QJ/AT-type hands, and you get a little more respect when villain has AJ or better. I like raising the turn as a value/freeze bet in these spots, but sometimes when I minraise they call and make a decent-sized (non-blocking) lead the river, and I am unhappy. I think if you go a little stronger you will get more checks on the river (and have an easier time folding to serious action). I'm making it around 300 straight.

-muz
Old 07-05-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KQ?

you think KQ is possible here?

I think raising to $300 or $400 is horrible.

you'll only get called by a hand that beats you.

[/ QUOTE ]

"youll only get called by a hand that beats you" is the most overused poker cliche around. And alot of times Its just not true. I make big bets all the time that get called by hands that I beat. Not by world class players obviously, but how many great players are really out there?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 PM

I wish I had a decent theoretical reason for you here, but I don't.

Here are two possibilities:

1) In an unraised pot, villain has no clue what the hell you are holding either, and has to be somewhat scared that you're holding a concealed monster, so the turn minraise sows more confusion than if you've announced yourself to have a premium hand preflop.

2)In a raised pot, there is enough money for an opponent to take a shot at it on the river even if they miss. Also, you probably won't make opponent fold something like top pair weak kicker, which you may well do in an unraised pot.

I dunno, I just know it doesn't tend to work for me in big pots.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:22 PM

if your opponent is tightish, am i the only one that thinks a big river bet might get AQ/AJ out of the pot?

ok, so he's never led into a raiser before....but he bets 60% of the pot on the flop, then 40% on the turn, only calls your min-raise, then checks the river...thats a pretty weak line to me

you know he has something fairly good, but not super strong...no set, no str8...would he lead with AK into you on the flop?...AQ/AJ/QJ seem like the most likely hands...

he would have to be thinking you hit a set with how you played the hand if you also bet out large on the river...i guess it depends how tight he is and how tight he thinks you are