Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Chasing gut shot str8 draws?

That depends on alot of things champ.
Heads up on the flop I chase. never on turn though unless I have another draw too like an overcard.
Pokerstars at any limit I never chase them. They just don't hit for me ever. Occasionally I will chase a gut shot if it's a 7 I want because that's my favorite number.

At empire I will chase all gutshots except when I play 5-10. Then its just when the board is all black. The same goes for party when the board is red. Not really sure why but when I first got on these sites I tried this startegy and it seems to work.

Rarely do I ever go on "Feeling" which alot of players seem to do. My advice through is don't chase them at pokerstars ... they never come through because the pots are too small. Of courseif you are playing 10-20 or higher you gotta chase because the pots are bigger. Just at 3-6 and 5-10 it a stupid idea.

Instinct
Old 06-19-2003, 03:10 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Explain to me the different type of odds please!

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're a winning high-limit player?

BS

And we're supposed to want to take lessons from you??? link

Double BS
Old 06-19-2003, 03:15 PM

if you really did see another players cards at this point, couldn't you say your actual odds are 35-9?

johnny.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:22 PM

<font color="red"> Explain to me the different type of odds please! </font color>
Is this a joke? Is this the same OnlineChamp I've seen in the high limit games at Pokerstars?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:59 PM

whether or not he knows/knew what these types of odds are, it is still the biggest contribution he has made by posting a question that will get responses that help other people. And yes, there are many winning players who dont know the technical definitions of terms like that
Old 06-19-2003, 05:02 PM

Default More odds for advanced players:)

"it is still the biggest contribution he has made by posting a question that will get responses that help other people"

Novices can easily calculate the rough odds for drawing simply by multiplying the number of cards that can improve your hand, i.e. outs by 4 if flop, 2 cards to come, and 2.5 if on turn.

flush draw 9 outs= 4*9= 36% turn, 20%

This way you can work out your rough odds in the heat of battle. For less outs you will underestimate slightly but that is good, for variance reduction overall.

For more advanced players you can also consider

negated outs = That is if you read fairly confidently that is another flush draw, you should discount your outs by 2.
Or if it you are drawing to Ace or K, and clearly after the raises, what you need is in the other players' hands.

Expected odds = card odds - (the probability of your opponents holding your outs* negated outs)

Effective Expected odds= (probability of hitting*amount winnable)+ (probability of hitting+lossable) +(probability of not hitting*losable)+(Probability of not hitting*winnable)

Estimating implied odds are especially important in NL when you must determine HOW MUCH you will get paid if you do hit. If not reading the probabilities for negated outs with other players and reading your main opponents hand wasn't enough.
Example is: You hit K-flush you may not get payoff if your opponent also hit a higher A-flush. Or you win without hitting, it becomes a little game theory matrix, except you plug in your own probabilities using judgement when you play, and your own payoffs sepending on your judgement of imply odds.

There are many good players who couldn't verbalise their calculations but they guess close intuitively. Typed this while playing 3 tables, please don't call me moron if I said something dumb.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Beginners are better off using 3.5 & 2multiples

I used 4 and 2.5 for justify my inside straight gutshots

Using 3.5 and 2 multiples (of outs) on the turn is more risk averse and better overall for the percentage chance of making hand.

(I hate the 3 tables flashing around when I'm trying to type!)
Old 06-19-2003, 07:44 PM

You're correct. Sorry, I'm so use to thinking of the turn as a 46 card deck.

MS Sunshine