Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Tourney Bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
if you are thinking of the negative aspect and crippling your bankroll, you shouldn't play the tourney. You have to have confidence you can win every tourney you enter. Even some of the other WSOP tourney events, you can spend 8-10K on just rebuys and addons. All depends what fits your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ridiculous. I mean, im ambitious as hell when it comes to tournaments, but you have to have limits. No matter how good you are if your bankroll can't take the swings of tournaments than you should play smaller ones or build up first.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:49 PM

just to clarify my particular situation

most of my time is spent playing ring games (limit)

im not looking to support a bank roll playing mtt

i enjoy playing mtt's more than ring games, but play limit

because its easier to make a profit (propping plays a big

part) and build a roll so i can play in these live

mtt's. now the question is now much of my BR should i risk?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:00 PM

As much as you are comfortable losing. Noone here can tell you how much that is. Assuming you are a decent player the you probably have a slightly positive EV for any given tourney. I play mostly limit as well and I stuck $500 aside for tourneys and keep it separate from everything else. When it hits $1000 I take some out, if it goes it goes. I am comfortable playing in some $100 tourneys with it but not often and not without an overlay. Mostly I feel comfortable in $30 or less tourneys. The really important point is that I am ok with losing 100% of it. I don't play mtt's for profit because they are too wild. When I do make money it is a nice added bonus.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:09 PM

personally

i am looking for the live aspect &

playing w/ professionals w/ the shot of a big payday

long term i hope to be able to afford the high dollar tournaments but for now i would just like to get some exposure to it...

i am eyeing playing in some of the events in the us poker championship in the end of sept

there smaller daily tourneys go from 300- 1000 dollars

just wondering how much money u all had in ur roll before

attempting the higher dollar tourneys?

thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 04:18 PM

You should probably quantify your roll for us so that we have a better idea of where you stand.

I mean if you have a $10K roll and play 5/10 limit (1,000 BB), you've got a lot of room to play with as far as % of your bankroll goes.

If you have a $10K roll and play 15/30, well now you don't have so much room (assuming the 300-500BB rule depending on whether you play full or short).

So I guess my answer is the % that you should be willing to gamble on 1 MTT is dependent upon the % of your roll that is required to adequately support the natural variance in your game of choice.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just wondering how much money u all had in ur roll before attempting the higher dollar tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

My BR is a little under 3k and I am considering playing in the Borgata Open $500 event in september, maybe the $750 too.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:38 PM

TF

To answer ur question

Anticipated BR 10K-15K (by the end of sept)

Anticipated because I am going to Vegas in Aug and dont know what that will run me (g-friend+entertainment+ring GAMES (NOT ENGAGEMENT))

Online (where i make the money) I play a wide variety of limits because some of the sites i prop for are small and games are limited

a majority of my play is @ 5/10 (65%) 2nd is 3/6 (20%)then 10/20 (10%) w/ an occassional cup of tea @ 15/30 (2%) or 25/50 (1%) just to keep it real

however, in case u wondered i have found myself seeking 10/20 more so its % may go up

2% other games

Gee, now i feel naked

thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 04:47 PM

Seriously, no one has answered the question (a couple have, but only with personal rules of thumb, like 10%). If you have a bankroll of x dollars, then what % of that should you be paying for MTTs if you're considering MTTs to show a profit (this isn't his question, but it's mine) so that you'll make more in MTTs than you would at ring games.
rhys
Old 07-05-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much bankroll do you risk on any particular tourney?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Following is just my 2 cents - some rules of thumb I use and that have been successful for me so far. None of the ideas below has been proven to be 100% statistically sound.

I try to look at it as taking a portion of my cash game proceeds and dedicate it to MTTs. (I try to convince my tiny brain that this means I'm free-rolling.) I'll play $5/10 NLHE or PLO for a week, cash out most of the winnings, and designate say 15% of it to play in MTTs.

If you're looking for a flat %, I think 10% of your bankroll is probably a bit too high for any given MTT. Not because you shouldn't finish ITM more than 10% (you should, in the long run, or you're in the wrong business). Rather, because variance will quite reasonably suck up your entire bankroll before you can demonstrate long-term profitability.

That said, I bought into the WSOP main event this week. It was 10% of my bankroll (counter to my advice, I realize, but if you gotta make an exception, this is where to do it). I'll tell you in 10 days (hopefully) whether it was a good or bad decision.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this thread is full of bad avice. If you use 10% of your bankroll, you need 10-1 odds of making it in the money. I dont see this as good odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

where does this come from?