Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Default 99 multi-way, Am I a Millerian maniac?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Table stats: VP$IP/PFR: 34/14
MP1 had arrived only a few hands earlier.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11 BB

How did I do? Prior to reading Miller I would have folded the flop w/ 2 players to act behind me. My general issue is trying to apply Miller online (which is far more aggressive and somewhat tighter than the games described in the book).

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: 99 multi-way, Am I a Millerian maniac?

Is my post too lame for a reply?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

no, just disinteresting, but bumping your own post an hour later is.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:47 PM

it all looks good to me.

This looks like a particulary aggressive table.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 PM

I would have played it the same, especially after the SB gave up on the flop. Betting the turn is standard so you can take the free showdown for fold to a checkraise.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:58 PM

I don't know if I am comfortable that you will win this hand.

After the sb checks the flop, the middle player must have something to bet. I like the raise in that it probably eliminates the other two players and isolates the raiser.

When your opponent check calls you on the turn, that tells me he doesn't have a King. It does tell me that he probably has a pair higher than your nines, because what else could he be drawing to?

I think the raising to isolate play with less than top pair works better if there is a King on the board and you have Jacks or Queens. In other words something closer in value to the high card. With 9's there are too many overcards that can hit on the turn and river to give you the willies.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:19 PM

MP1 had KQ
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP1 had KQ

[/ QUOTE ]He does know he has top pair on a relatively safe board, right? You played this hand beautifully and actually paid quite a bit less for it than you should have. The pleasure of playing a nit.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Table stats: VP$IP/PFR: 34/14
MP1 had arrived only a few hands earlier.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11 BB

How did I do? Prior to reading Miller I would have folded the flop w/ 2 players to act behind me. My general issue is trying to apply Miller online (which is far more aggressive and somewhat tighter than the games described in the book).

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only thing I might do different is raise/fold preflop, coldcalling sucks, though it is somewhat warranted, as you are guaranteed at least 5 to the flop if you coldcall... if I had a read that UTG'ers would limp crap like QT but could fold if it was 2 back to them then I would def 3 bet

Also, now that I think about it I might check through on the turn if I had stats that he was laggy... this does let him draw at up to 6 outs for free, so I wouldnt do it unless I was sure he would lead the river with an UI AQ or AJ or something
Old 07-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Havent read the thread, but while I would usually play it the same, in this situation, I wouldnt....Your play looks good, once he calls the turn, time to check the river.

But in this situation, Id muck the flop. Dont really care if ppl bash that....I usually do not fold 99 without decent cause, but here, even no reads, Im sure Im behind. Dunno.

SBs action is intresting, insta fold. You would at least expect a call, or 3-bet unless he was just getting frisky preflop.

Anyway, most of the time, thats good solid post flop play by the OP. Even so here, if u are beaten, at least u lost the least possible.