Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: am I ready for this???

Easy Fold! you made a great play, nice work.
Listen to your boyfriend while also "thinking for yourself" give your self time to gather experience, and become your own poker player.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Well the 'men turn into fish' thing is two fold really, because their are two types of guys.

You've got the type that are going to think women can't play poker very well and thusly they will attempt to play pots more aggressively by betting/raising marginal hands or just straight out bluffing based on their belief that because you're a girl you're going to be easily moved off the hand. They will also never give you credit for having a decent hand, and figure you're just calling down with anything.

Then you've got the type of guy that believes if he's nice to you it will improve his chances of having sex. And he'll react by maybe just calling instead of raising even if he has the best hand because you're a girl and he figures if he's nice to you you're bound to want to jump his bones. This type of guy will generally be more chatty with you.

For further reading check out Gary Carson's book, because if memory serves me he has an entire chapter devoted to how to play poker if you're a girl, how people will react, changes you should consider making, etc. Of course I could be thinking of the wrong book entirely.

Anyways reconsider the picture thing, I won't use it as my avatar I promise. I'm too vane to use anyone's picture but my own.

T
Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 PM

LOL... thanks for the advice. Like I said in a previous post...I read the Badass girls guide to poker...it was a good book... but it was more for live play than internet...I will see if I can find the book that you mentioned....if you think of anything else...let me know.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:28 AM

Fold AJ pre-flop in early position in the 1st levels of a SNG. Come over to the 1-Table Tournaments forum. We'll have you beating your boyfriend in no time.