Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Party Freeroll

Hi Folks,

I've been reading the board for quite awhile now and I've finally decided to post.

Here is the situation:

85 people left in Party Freeroll. I am chip leader with 104k chips, two seats to my left is 2nd place person 102 k. One over on my right is a loose/aggressive player with 34k chips.

Blinds are 2-4k

I act first:

Betting 4 k in early position. 2nd place guy calls. Folds to the aforementioned L/A Small Blind who raises to 8k. Folds back to me. I rapidly raise to 20k. 2nd place guy folds. SB takes until time bank to call.

Flop is AKQ Rainbow. SB Checks, I put him all in.

He thinks again, finally calls w/ A-7 o.

A J or 10 don't fall so I lose the pot.

Here is the reason for my post:

Would putting him all in (pre-flop) with 10's, have outweighed the risk of running into an unkown monster hand from the player with 102k chips?

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 07-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Party Freeroll

I don't like the flop push; you're almost definitely behind, and drawing to 6 outs. Assuming SB is the 34K stack, he pot committed himself by calling your raise to 20K, I'm surprised he didn't push that flop himself, unless he was planning to checkraise you all in.

I wouldn't play scared of the other big stack atthe table - I don't see him calling a push from you with anything other than AA/KK - why would he want to tangle with the only stack that can bust him with anything less? Not sure that I like pushing a 30BB stack at all though.

You had a good hand preflop, flop was about as bad as it could have been for you, your only options were check/fold or put him to a decision for all his chips. Perhaps a smaller bet to make it look like you were massaging the pot might have scared off an attentive player, but that's very read-dependant.