Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Cheapest way to learn poker?

What's the best way for a new poker player to get quality experience? Because I am not doing too good financially right now, I want to maximize my poker experience with minimal investment. Poker to me is a just a hobby, I'm not playing it for the money. But I am still competitive and I want to read and learn to play "proper" poker.

Right now, I've been playing $5 or $10 NL SNG home games with acquiantances. The problem is, these home games are just too crazy: there's a range of skill levels from weak tight beginners, to LAG players, to total maniacs. I can't afford to keep throwing away $10 buy-ins and play these totally non-standard games.

So, in summary: I am an intelligent, 24 year old university graduate with not too much cash. I'm prepared to read all the books necessary, and really study the ins and outs of the game. I feel that this effort alone should make me better than 50% of the players out there.

How do I get over this beginner's hump without losing too much money? Do I play online at Party Poker? At home games? If NL SNG's reward agressive play, should I stick to micro limits? Should I get Poker Tracker? What books should I read?

I'm unsure how to answer all these questions. If you guys could guide me in the right direction, I can enjoy playing poker and save a lot of money that I can't afford to lose. Please reply. Thanks.