Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Skipping a NL stepping stone

I was thinking specifically moving from 2/4 6 max to 5/10 6 max.... but thats such a narrow question that will have a pretty limited and boring range of responses.

I'd like to hear what limit you would have really regreted skipping in terms of acquiring NL experience, not money.

A lesser but more easily answered question would be-
On some scale how bad would you say that skipping any level in NL is in general (bankroll healthy).

- Thanks,
AEKDBet
Old 07-04-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Skipping a NL stepping stone

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking specifically moving from 2/4 6 max to 5/10 6 max.... but thats such a narrow question that will have a pretty limited and boring range of responses.

I'd like to hear what limit you would have really regreted skipping in terms of acquiring NL experience, not money.

A lesser but more easily answered question would be-
On some scale how bad would you say that skipping any level in NL is in general (bankroll healthy).

- Thanks,
AEKDBet

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then obviously the first question is: how big is your bankroll?

And the second question is: If you lose a decent portion (set a certain percentage) will you have the willpower to move back down to 2/4 NL and rebuild?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:01 PM

If you have the roll take the shot. If you run/play bad, drop down to 2/4, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't say there is a big difference skipping out on 3/6 6max. As long as you can handle pots the size they are at 5/10 go for it.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:20 PM

I wanted to pose the ? so that bankroll was not an issue. There has to be some level whereby experience gained > bankroll considerations... or something like that.

It's the 4th, I'm pretty drunk, but I think you know what I mean.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:22 AM

I personally am a big believer in taking shots at bigger games, so my take on it - definitely give it a go AS LONG as you can:

a) Handle the loss in case you don't do well.

b) Can actually stop if you lose x number of buy-ins (2-3 buyins was usually my limit) and can go back to your regular games that you know you can beat.

As for skipping the limits, if you're already playing 2-4 NL and are successful at it for a decent period of time (several months, at least), I wouldn't say it's a big deal to skip the next limit up ($3-6).

I played $3-6 on Stars and UB and didn't find it to be vastly different from $2-4. $5-10 NL and up IS different, however, so this is where most of your learning will be done, IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

- ZeroHour
Old 07-05-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There has to be some level whereby experience gained > bankroll considerations... or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, just remember that bad beats and negative variance aren't biased towards any specific limit. You could easily run bad due to bad beats or variance [very possible], or played with scared money [not likely, or you wouldn't be posting this thread].

I just wanted to ensure that a small stint of negative variance won't obliterate your bankroll. Also, that you have the discipline to drop back down to your 'native' buy-in game if you DO run bad when taking a shot, and not trying to "double up to get even".

Taking shots is great, but it is one of the things that can completely obliterate any player's bankroll if they do not have the discipline or the bankroll to lose a couple buy-ins at the higher limit. I've seen undisciplined players get over-confident and buy in for their whole bankroll at a higher limit to take a shot. I've also seen players with ten buy-ins for a higher limit that they want to take a shot at tilt seven or eight of those buy-ins away before they realized what they're doing.

Just remember that any varience in play is going to consume a MUCH greater portion of your bankroll (either in a positive manner, or a negative manner).

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:25 AM

just buy into the 5/10 with a short stack and we'll all think you're a donk and pay you off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 07-05-2005, 02:16 AM

I went from 1/2 full ring to 400 6max for about 2 weeks. Then I skipped 3/6 altogether and went straight to 5/10 6max with no problems whatsoever. I had been studying in mid/high for a good while though before I took the jump.

I think taking a shot is a good idea, but just make sure you have good table selection.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:34 AM

Skipping is fine. Back in the day, I went from 1/2 to 3/6 w/ very little 2/4 sprinkled in. I also took shots every once in a while on 5/10 until I learned to beat it. Just be very open to changing the way you play if you see some patterns you're not used to at the lower limits (can't give you specifics, but min-raises can be different on average from level to level, etc.)

So in summary, move up. Just try to play tight and / or watch for a while until you get into the swing and the feel of the game. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 AM

So far, I have found that 3/6 plays entirely differently than 2/4. 2/4 was full of straightforward players and some calling stations, with bad LAGs. 3/6 seems to be full of players who will call the flop against a raiser with air to see what happens and then make a decision on the turn. I'm having huge amounts of trouble so far.