Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Magic Tricks

[ QUOTE ]
Magic tricks will not help you get laid. Stop trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain Claudia Schiffer and David Copperfield then.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Game. Set. Match.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Copperfield!
Coppa-feelo!
Operaman no comprendo
Il dorko has hot girlfriendo!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If she like-ah magic
Mi take-ah classoh
En two weeks
Pull a rabbit out of my ass-oh!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Do coin tricks. They wow people more than card tricks, because coins are more everyday objects. You don't have to "get into the mood for magic" for a coin trick. And you can always carry some with you. They are also easier to palm if you have really skinny fingers that show the backs of cards through a crack. Many coin palms don't use the fingers to cover the coin.

Half dollars are good to do them with -- big enough to catch the eye and manipulate, small enough to not cumbersome. FWIW -- the 1964 Kennedy half-dollars are silver, and shine much more. Catches the eye really well.

Couple nice things about them - you can practice them anywhere, pretty unobtrusively, since all it takes is a coin. And, they make your fingers, hands, and wrists extremely supple and limber. I used to warm up for a typing session by doing coin tricks, and for some reason it also helped a lot when I had already been typing for a long, long time.

Also, half dollars are about the size of poker chips. So you can fool around doing exercises at the poker table, maybe show off a little if you like. Handle the chips like that and people will think you've been playing like crazy for years. It's good for a laugh or to throw a sudden bolt of fear into someone wondering if he should call you. I've had to stifle a roar of laughter once or twice in that situation.

Oh, and another thing -- for someone really getting seriously into magic, you "powder" your cards so they stay slick, and buy new decks like crazy. Get yourself half a dozen half dollars, and you're set for life for all of three bucks.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:13 PM

Copperfield is unbelievably rich. He was working Vegas from the time he was a teenager. He gave her a ring worth millions, as I recall. Schiffer is rich, but nowhere near David Copperfield rich.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:15 PM

Do you want to tell us some coin tricks? Or are you just referring to stuff like passing it in between your fingers, etc.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:16 PM

Blarg, is there anything you don't know?

I expect to see at least an 8 paragraph response to this question.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:16 PM

I concur, coin tricks are sweet and easy to practice with. They also require no preperation other than practice beforehand.

A good one is when you're sitting down eating at a restaurant. You slide the coin back towards your lap a few times. Have your 4 fingers straight out and your thumb behind, so it looks like you're sliding the coin back with the 4 fingers and grabbing it once it's at the edge of the table with your thumb. After the 2nd or 3rd time you do this, drop the coin into your lap, but still act like you picked it up. I believe it's called the Utility Move or the Utility something, but it's cool. Anyways, it's now in your lap, but they still think it's in your hand. I like to make a fist with it and then clap both of my hands together really quick, it's an awesome illusion.

Try and google the Utility trick and you're sure to pick up something.

Oh, and another cool little move to pick up a few bucks. Take a match stick, not the actual sticks, but the normal ones from the booklets people have in bars and such. Tell the person that you can drop the match and have it land pefectly on it's side. Normally the match will fall face down, the flat side. They'll agree to let you do it. You can let them inspect the match all the want. Before you drop it, bend it at a right angle, then let go. It'll land on it's side. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 12:52 PM

LOL. I used to take magic classes when I was a kid. I practiced sleight of hand pretty much constantly for years, which is the only way to become really good at it. Used to be decent. Always found people liked the coin tricks best. It wows them when the magic isn't part of a big phoney set-up, but is just close-up right under their nose with the most ordinary stuff, and coins are about as ordinary and spontaneous as it gets.