Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Default what would you do here on the flop/turn?

PokerRoom, NLHE, blinds: .15-.25, 10 handed

Hero (SB): K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">7th Pos seems solid, Button is a calling station.</font>

PREFLOP:
four callers (Pot: $1.40) , Hero raises to $2.15, 7th Pos. calls, Button calls (Pot: $7.20)

FLOP: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $5, 7th Pos. folds, Button calls $5 (Pot: $17.20)

4th: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $12.35 and is all-in, button calls $11.95 and is all-in (Pot: $39.05)

5th: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I know I slightly underbet the flop (I actually remember betting more), but this guy would've called a couple extra dollars anyway. What should I have done on the turn? Was this a mandatory check-fold or check-call? Any comments would be appreciated.

Result: Button had J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: what would you do here on the flop/turn?

actually thats a tough one. i might have checked to see what button would do but knowing that i didn't have a spade it would have been hard for me to do what you did. however it seems like you were trying to represent an ace high flush with outs on the river. it really wasn't that bad except for the flop(check-raise?)

bigsteve894@yahoo.com
Old 07-02-2005, 06:50 PM

yeah it was a semi-bluff which was a bad idea against this type of player. he had been folding to bets on the turn but i guess his J/6 just looked too good here...

check-raise seemed too risky with a 3 flush on the board, especially against these players. 7th Position knew the Button was a calling station (he was harassing him for it in the chat window) &amp; would likely only bet if he connected with the flop (which was unlikely). the button certainly could not be counted on to bet.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 PM

Preflop and flop are fine.

On the turn, your goal is to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible. This gives you a few options:

1) Bet an absurdly small amount. Like fifty cents. Do it on the river too. Since villian is a donkey calling station, he will likely just call the two bets and you accomplish your goal. If he raises, it's an easy fold.

2) Check the turn. Fold to a reasonable bet. If he bets an absurdly small amount, then call, because this will accomplish our goal.

I don't like the push, because you will generally only be called when you are drawing dead. Don't ever bluff a calling station.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:17 PM

how about checking the turn and hope that he slowplays his flush giving you a chance to fill up?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 PM

Um, I'm a total idiot and I didn't read the board right. Somehow I missed that you have top set. Even still, your goal is still to get to a cheap showdown unless you fill. So either bet small of check/call any bet that gives you proper odds to chase.