Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 10:51 PM

Default I repent.

I want to take this opportunity to publicly repent for whatever it is that I have done to so anger the Poker Gods.

It is clear by my newfound inability to collect on > 15% of my flops (22% seen) that I have somehow offended Thee.

I had hoped that dropping a level would be the first step in bankroll recovery, but it appears that I might not understand the subtle signals that You have been sending me over the last 2 weeks.

I am truely sorry and will do whatever penance is necessary to get back in your good graces. Please find it within Your infinite mercy to send me a sign (perhaps something as simple as KK or AA holding up).

Your Loyal Servant--
Old 06-16-2003, 11:06 PM

Default Re: I repent.

Not good enough, lol. You have to say the prayer at the table after a really bad beat.

There, now you know the secret to appeasing the Poker gods.

Go in peace, [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
pf
Old 06-17-2003, 12:36 AM

You could also try sacrificing a virgin or some sort of animal. I hear that some gods go for that sort of thing.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:52 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I wish you would make up with so they'd start listening to my prayers. The beats were comming fast a furious tonight.

My favorite was JJ early I raise get 4 callers (wee)
3 of them have Axs, Kxo, Qxo

The board was x x x x K and yes they all stayed to the river.

I could have played pocket Aces face up tonight and still not have made an A2o fold. Of course I don't get pocket rockets. It's funny I get AA half as many times as any other pocket pair. Go figure?

Thanks for letting me vent. Of course I have a lot of new positive EV that I need to spend some place.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:38 AM

I've been on a party roller coaster recently too. Loss, loss, loss, loss, huge win, loss, loss, loss, big win, loss. I've gained overall, but its been a wild ride.

I think I need to start taking better notes on players. I take notes when I notice things at the table i'm at but when I come back and find them again I forget to check my notes. Oh well.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:08 AM

It looks like I have taken all the luck away from you guys over the past week (I'm +600 playing 2/4 and 3/6 for maybe 20 hrs). It's kind of amusing because last week I couldn't win a hand and everyone else was talking about how they were running good. Oh yeah, my point -- ummm, I forgot. Oh yeah...this game is a bitch. Just keep playing solid poker and you will win in the "long run".

-- Homer

p.s. - I used to pray to the poker god, but now I bitch slap him when he cracks my aces. I think he's learned his lesson.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:42 AM

Hey Homer--

Just keep playing solid poker and you will win in the "long run".

I was curious who was going to be the first to reply with this [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]. I managed to scrape together a small win last nite, and this pattern is nothing new, but it sure can be tough.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Attn: Poker Gods: I in no way share or condone this heathen's lack of faith. Forgive him, for he knowest not what he says. Please prove Your greatness to Homer and the other infidels by presenting this compliant crustacian with a winning session of such incredible magnitude that these humans will sing your praises eternally. As a side benefit, I'll be able to afford my new camper.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:01 AM

I was curious who was going to be the first to reply with this.

I know hearing that doesn't help much when you're losing (or not winning much), but what else can you do other than keep playing your best and have faith that things will turn around?

It's funny -- for the past couple weeks, I didn't have a single winning session (maybe 7-8 in a row), then I had 3-4 break-even to small win sessions, and now I've had 3-4 consecutive 30-40 BB wins. Add it all up, and I've won about 1.5 BB/hr. I look back at those losing and break-even sessions, and know that I blew off extra BB's by not playing my normal game. If only I had played those sessions well, I'd be averaging 2-2.5 BB's/hr. It's hard to think of poker as just one long session, but really that's the way it is.

-- Homer
Old 06-17-2003, 11:26 AM

Oh, I hear ya, and I hope I didn't come off as sounding cynical. I've charted each of my sessions since January, and this is a normal downswing. But since I'm playing 2/4 primarily (rather than 1/2), having a few 30-40 BB losing sessions hurts a bit more.

I'm playing primarly 1/2 right now until I can recover some of the lost BR. Fortunately I'm pretty used to the adjustments between 1/2 and 2/4, I've made this back-and-forth leap a few times.

Take care--
Old 06-17-2003, 12:02 PM

The catch-22 of this is that you had a normal downswing at 2-4, but will take twice the time to make it back up at 1-2. I understand the need to move down, but it tends to just add to the frustration. I'd personally like to get off space mountain and just post 10-12 BB wins about 4 of every 5 sessions like I was a month ago. That's when its fun.

Hey poker gods... i'm with Rock here. That AA crack in a 6 handed capped PF pot last night was cruel. And the KK 2 hands later showed me I'm at your whims. Luckily I must've thought pure thoughts as the set of Qs 10 mins later were appreciated.