FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
BruceZ 31 29.52%
Sthief 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Was this game crooked?

Definatly not...

for instance.. he reluctantly called... i think he'd have less fear in a stacked deck...

you bet two bucks to make it LOOK like you were trying to steal....

you pushed all in thinking you were beat.... out of fear that you were beat.... and you were beat...

they talked about the way you played your set and his straight or whatever...

I do that all the time, because it amazes me how many people will slow play a hand and then go all in once they know its beat
maybe they were discussing how he should have played it stronger in case you had clubs...

they're poker people they cant play a game and then not talk about it for hours and hours...

ten bucks...
the price would have gone up if they were cheating you...

it may have started at ten bucks, but soon it'd been 50
then 100
then they'd start taking your money.....
Old 07-01-2005, 08:08 PM

I said No his game did not sound crooked, however, I added a lil comment about some of the online sites that are corrupt, that maybe he should beware a lil online!!?? I meet better players and others, What hit a nerve? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] YOUR PROBLEM, keep it!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:20 PM

I just wanted to add this...

Just because you probably weren't getting scammed here doesn't mean the next time you feel that way you aren't getting scammed..

use your gut instinct... theres always a game somewhere if you have the heebeejeebees about it... get out... get out politely...

I've been in so many games where some guy gets drunk and if you sand bag him... he's gonna pop up off the table with a knife in his hand...

these are other vibes you gotta worry about...
Any bad feelings about a game... leave... either way if you have a bad feeling you can't play your A game...
Old 07-02-2005, 01:28 AM

Something funny was definitely going on, but I don't think it was the cards.

Actually, in all honesty, you didn't get hustled. I can say that with 99.9% certainty.

The two main pieces of evidence are:

1) They offered 30% of their profits back to you in the form of beer.
2) Scare card on the turn

Well written post. You obviously are trying hard to learn about the game, and you will do well. You should probably stop watching so many old westerns, though.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:53 AM

The best thing about posts like that of the OP are these absolutely hilarious responses.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:44 PM

A little paranoid aren't we? If it was a crooked game, it would've been for more than just 10 bucks, you out drew the other guy that one time. Also, wouldn't they ask you to play again if it was crooked? Finally, you heard two guys discussing the hand that knocked one of them out, something I do all the time. Doesn't sound like anything is off.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 PM

I wouldn't shut the hell up until there was some cutting going on.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:12 AM

Howdy fellas,

I've had a few days to think it over and, first, I'm sorry that this isn't poker theory. I thought it might be, I wasn't completely sure, but I thought theory would be a main part of the post. I thank you all (even the those were particularly rude, or sarcastic). Second, I want to make this clear:

IT IS NOT THE BAD BEAT, OR THE MONEY I WAS WORRIED ABOUT!

I get bad beats all the time (I'm sure you all do, too.), and I'll spare you my volumes of stories. The cash wasn't much, but it isn't something I like losing, either. I don't have a lot of money (a bankroll of about $400 live and $300 online), so I can't be throwing Hamiltons around like they're confetti. At the time I wrote the post, my main concern was that I was scammed. Since that, I have thought that the GAME was not fixed. However, I would not rule out the notion that the guy was getting tired, and decided to end the game by stacking the deck for that ONE HAND. Even that seems unlikely, though. I don't know, and perhaps I'll never know. But, I did learn a lesson, and that is to play with cuts. I seem to learn these big lessons cheaply. Just ask, and I'll tell you the story about how I learned that even drunks catch cards.

Anyhow, I did not mean this to get as big as it has. I'm not trying to make a "big deal" about this, I was merely looking for a few opinions. Some opinions were very helpful, and some were people showing off how much of a comedian they could be. ("Okay, so Sklansky, Malmuth, and Buddha walk into a cardroom...and Buddha says he doesn't believe in good or bad cards!") I like to try to be funny, too! I've had worse beats, but accept it. That's part of the game. This time, however, I just got a gut feeling about the hand, and something just didn't seem right. It just seemed a little too perfect.

Well, that's my gig. What have you?

RGS

P.S. Had this happened in a cardroom, or with people I know, a scam would never have crossed my mind, except for the grounds of a small joke.

P.P.S. I hate westerns. They're too hokey!
Old 07-04-2005, 06:57 AM

Is this post a joke? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 03:24 PM

Default A possible explanation?

There is one thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned. It is possible that these three were just honing their skills at this low level for future suckers, just testing the waters, so to speak, for a career making money off the hold'em craze. The part about the cutting is interesting, as someone earlier pointed out, why not? This is just a theory (ok, you did put it in that category) of what could possibly have taken place. I'm glad you made the post because a lot of beginners surely have similar suspicions. In all liklihood, it was not a scam. But isn't it a logical possiblity that they could have been training for the future? Then the beer offered fits in a little better under this scenario. Tell me why this is a bad theory.