Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Default AK WSOP hand- Need help

We are in the second day of the $2000 NL HE tournament. Down to 4 tables and everyone is deep in the money. I had about T86000. The blinds were 2000-4000, antes were 400. A player with T36000 in middle position raised to 12000. Everyone folded to me in the big blind. I had AK. I sensed that he didn't have a great hand but would call an all-in bet before the flop because he pot committed himself with the preflop raise. Instead, I just called. I figured that if I flopped a A or K, I would slowplay it to let him hang himself. If I don't flop anything, then I would try to push him out of the pot by going all in. The flop came 10 7 6. I pushed all in and he called with 10-9 suited. The turn and river came blanks and I was crippled.

I debated this hand with a friend for a long time. My friend said that I should have pushed all in before the flop. What do you guys/gals think?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: AK WSOP hand- Need help

I get it all in preflop.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:21 AM

Push preflop. This way he will fold exactly this type of hand. If he has a pocket pair (other than AA or KK, which kills you if an A or K hits on the flop anyway) you race. Anything else you beat or dominate.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:22 AM

Don't get cute. Just shove it in PF. If you think he'll call with a weak hand, that's what you want!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 AM

I think you push it all in pre-flop, especially if you've already decided you're going to make a move at the pot if you completely miss.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:41 AM

I honestly don't see the problem with your play if you think he has a small pair,ak himself as he will call getting 24 to win 82 with any two if you go allin. The only thing is you scare away missed KQ,AJ,AQ but the odds of those versus the odds of potentially getting a middle pair to fold on an ugly flop outweighs it in my opinion. I probably instinctively go all in with AK but the way you did it as the stacks were it made no difference.