Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 01:28 PM

Default McManus quits \'05 WSOP

His NY Times Poker Journal was supposed to last through the end of the World Series, instead today was the final entry. (I wonder if the Times will replace him?)

For a variety of reasons, described in his final journal entry, he's packing up and leaving Vegas.

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but I thought it warranted a post given how much so many of us would like to be in playing all the events in Vegas, yet it can easily be an incredibly frustrating and difficult month for many.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: McManus quits \'05 WSOP

I will never like this guy after seeing how he reacted to Ellix Powers antics.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:05 PM

As much as we all like poker, I imagine it would be exceedingly difficult to leave our wives and children for a month (or more) for the entire WSOP. I have to give McManus some credit for being honest about his homesickness.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about his lame book?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:50 PM

Does this mean he isn't going to play in the main event?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN didn't show what led up to the McManus/Powers incident that was aired. Earlier, Powers had been quite rude to T.J. Cloutier. McManus was offended by this because he considers T.J. to be somewhat of a mentor to him. The footage that was aired on ESPN was just a climax to the earlier incident.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:14 PM

So McManus likes to play dice too?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious ... what exactly did you find lame about his book? When it comes to literary tastes, I can understand that we all differ. But, I can't understand how the book would be called "lame." It was very well written, covered an amazing run at the WSOP, and gave an inside view to an intriguing murder case ... that McManus was able to talk so openly with Binion family members right before and after the verdict was announced was a scoop he only got because of his showing in the WSOP.

NCAces
Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious ... what exactly did you find lame about his book? When it comes to literary tastes, I can understand that we all differ. But, I can't understand how the book would be called "lame." It was very well written, covered an amazing run at the WSOP, and gave an inside view to an intriguing murder case ... that McManus was able to talk so openly with Binion family members right before and after the verdict was announced was a scoop he only got because of his showing in the WSOP.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing i didn't like about the book was his cocky tone about everything. and when i saw the limit event last year he seemed just as cocky as his book made him out to be. just my opinion.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His NY Times Poker Journal was supposed to last through the end of the World Series, instead today was the final entry. (I wonder if the Times will replace him?)

For a variety of reasons, described in his final journal entry, he's packing up and leaving Vegas.

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but I thought it warranted a post given how much so many of us would like to be in playing all the events in Vegas, yet it can easily be an incredibly frustrating and difficult month for many.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised McManus isn't going to play the main event, especially considering his NY Times gig. Why not fly home, see the wife and kids for a couple of days, and come back for the main event?

Reading his Times' column, in addition to missing his family, he seems to be discouraged by a bad run of cards.

Anyway, it is too bad, he is a good writer, and I was looking forward to his writings about the main event.

Frank