Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Playing Flopped 2 Pair?

I just want to know the general consensus of how people play a hand when they flop 2 pair. I searched the forum and didn't find anything so forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I play mostly SNG 08B but i dabble in the cash games from time to time.

My example is i had A 3 Q 10 and the flop was:

A 3 6

(cant recall suits or find the hand history)

At this point i am only drawing to half of the pot anyway so would it be correct to fold or should i play the hand til the end assuming i only have to pay one bet each for turn and river.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Playing Flopped 2 Pair?

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to know the general consensus of how people play a hand when they flop 2 pair. I searched the forum and didn't find anything so forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I play mostly SNG 08B but i dabble in the cash games from time to time.

A 3 6

(cant recall suits or find the hand history)

At this point i am only drawing to half of the pot anyway so would it be correct to fold or should i play the hand til the end assuming i only have to pay one bet each for turn and river.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

In general Fold.

you are playing for at BEST 1/2 the pot.

But you don't have top 2, and you don't have a low, and you don't have draws to a straight or a flush.

There is a fair chance your not even ahead now, and a greater chance you won't be on the river.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM

What really sucks about this holding is, as has been pointed out, that this isn't even top two pair and that you're already limited to high-only. It's also important to point out, though, that even if you fill up (your best-case scenario), I wouldn't be surprised if yours isn't even the best boat.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Dump it. The hands that have you crippled are practically innumerable. Two pair on the flop is only "strong" when you have all the following:

--top two pair
--a board without two-to-a-low (let alone made low)
--no two-flush
--no straight possible
--backup options (top two, OESD for example)

All other times, basically get out of the way. Also, even satisfying these requirements you'll be behind some of the time to top/middle set.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A 3 6

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. (It always depends on the situation, but in a normal, loose or semi-loose, limit ring game it's an easy fold).

But if the flop was A-Q-9, then you'd have top two pair with low unlikely. It would be an entirely different situation.

But, yeah, since you're going to probably be playing A2XY and A3XYs hands, you'll flop top and bottom pairs more often than top two pairs - and when you do, low is either already possible or likely - and continuing usually doesn't work out well in a normal loose or semi-loose low or medium limit game.

Buzz
Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 PM

Thanks to everyone, you guys answered my initial question as well as my potential follow up questions.
Its much appreciated.
MP
Old 07-01-2005, 09:48 PM

Great help everyone, I don't think this point is made often enough in the basic instructional guides...I think this is a big leak of mine as I've learned the game over the past 8 days from being a strict limit holdem player. (BTW--thanks Gregery for the GREAT website). Maybe now I can boost my W$SD above the 63% level.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Here was a playable flopped 2 pair ....

Hero is on the button in a .50/.50 PLO/8 Game.

1 Limp, MP raises to $2. all fold to me. I have A2s QTs.

I raise to $5. Blinds fold, limper calls, MP calls.

Flop comes AQ9 - rainbow, with a backdoor nut flush for my ace.

Check, check to me. I bet out $10.

2 folds

even here - with only 3 people in a raised pot, if I get check raised, I really have to look into letting this hand go.