Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Default A w/ mediocre kicker Stars 1/2 6max

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($195.35)
SB ($132.60)
BB ($90.60)
Hero ($171)
MP ($18.80)
CO ($114.55)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $6, BB calls $5.

Flop: ($28) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $19</font>, CO calls $19, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($66) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, CO calls $30.

River: ($126) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $115 (All-In)</font>, CO calls $58.55 (All-In).

Final Pot: $299.55

I find myself running into trouble, in situations like this a lot. First off should I raise A9s UTG in a six max game? I would definately raise AT, but A9s in borderline for me.

I bet the flop, but feel like I have to bet the turn to charge the potential flush draw (I know my bet is way too small, that was me not paying attention to the pot size), villian would definately call w/ a flushdraw on the flop here.

Then when we reach the river I am splitting w/ the Aces except for AK, AQ, AJ, and I feel like I need to call anyway given the stack sizes (villian has less than 1/2 pot) and I might get him to fold something that splits with me.

How should I play these situations?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: A w/ mediocre kicker Stars 1/2 6max

I'm fairly new to no limit, but I don't like raising A9s oop. In limit 6max it's an easy raise, but I just don't like it in no limit. Usually, if you get action after an A flops you're in trouble.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:29 PM

He won't fold an ace on the river here. If he's gone this far there is absolutely no point in folding when his chances of winning (splitting) the hand suddenly increased quite a bit.

I can't see how you put him on a weak ace on the river. If he has that he is a real fish anyway. Reads?

If you think a flush draw is likely (the turn suggests you do) then check call the river. If he's even slightly aggressive, what better board (short of a spade river) to move you off KK/QQ? Actually: When he's not on a missed draw (that he will obviously fold to your push) he either has you beat or is splitting the pot with you. Betting the river seamingly has no benefits to check calling.

My pfr is more than 15% and I'm not raising A9s utg often. I don't like raising AT from there much either. (Presuming loose table.)
Old 06-30-2005, 06:32 PM

dont raise A9s UTG, even at 6max

after he calls your bet on the flop, you need to slow down. i'd likely check/call the rest of the way down if he makes the price right. i'd check/fold to anything more than half pot sized bets.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Opp is an unknown, but my experience is that a typical player would call w/ either an A, a 4, or a flush draw there. The 4 is not likely given his cc of my raise, but how do I know which he has without getting committed. chk/folding the turn seems really weak, giving a free card to a flush draw seems bad too. This sort of thing is why I shouldn't play A9s OOP, huh?

Given the stack sizes it seems if I am going to bet the turn, I should probably push right?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:37 PM

do you limp or fold A9s UTG, or is it table dependent?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
This sort of thing is why I shouldn't play A9s OOP, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]That is correct.

Given the stack sizes it seems if I am going to bet the turn, I should probably push right?

[/ QUOTE ]That is probably correct as well. Check folding the turn is not that bad though. Most people will check behind with their draws and (allthough unlikely to have in the first place) weak aces almost every time here.

do you limp or fold A9s UTG, or is it table dependent

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not folding unless I am very scared by my oponents. I'm limping or raising, but the conditions for raising are rare. (I would have to have two-three tight and bad players to my left I guess.)
Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 PM

i limp UTG w/ AJ and below.. i'll raise w/ AQ or AK
Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 PM

very very table dependent. Some tables will punish any limping with LP raises. Unless you're comfortable facing big bets out of positions, you cannot limp with this hand on these tables. Also, you need to steal your share of blinds (though it should usually be in LP, sometimes EP raises are effective steals as you're given more credibility).

With the current hand, I would probably check/fold on the turn. The flush draw might bluff u out (unlikely, probably they will take the free card), but the hand you are protecting is probably behind. Think about what you are representing by your betting - your opponent knows you have a big ace and he's staying in the hand.. you are beat.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:18 AM

Raising hands like A9s UTG is bad if you are up against players that are willing to call down with marginal hands. Raising A9s UtG is good if you are up against players that are willing to fold marginal hands.