Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Beta Testers needed

Well, I can assure that there is no such thing going on here, but I doubt that it will relieve any kind of concerns you have. Do you guys ever use Poker Spy, Texas Calculatem, Poker Pal, or Poker Tracker?

The actual source is not available for viewing. Do you trust the makers of this software and if so, why? Im honestly asking cause it will help me out when these concerns arise.

If you are running windows XP with the built in firewall turned on, it will warn you before any information is sent from a new program or unauthorized program. Poker Qwik Stats has no reason to go online and will never attempt to do so. That being the case, none of your information is being sent anywhere. The program simply uses the existing hand histories which reside locally on your hard drive and puts the information into a useful format.

I'll do some research and figure out how I can alleviate any more security concerns associated with my software.

Thanks for the feedback,
Justin
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Instead of asking people to pay for it, you might consider offering it free and ask people to donate to your paypal account if they like it. Its a great way to market your product and you'll be able to retain "ownership" more easily since people will be more apt to offer suggestions and tips rather than hijacking it and making it their own.

Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:33 AM

It would be great to see a Free Software tool like the one you propose. It would truly make a difference with the other software out there. Although you claim that your software is "Open Source" it currently fails to meet any requirement listed on the Open Source Initiative definition (as found at http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php). In particular you do not allow people to modify your software, which would allow it to benefit from the work of others.

All it takes for your software to become Free Software (which is the real name for Open Source), is to license it under a Free Software license. I suggest you release it under the GNU GPL as it will guarantee you that noone can turn it into a proprietary software that would compete with your product.

Publishing under a Free Software license does *not* mean you give up all your rights. You will retain full copyright on the software. This is a frequent misconception about Free Software : this is absolutely not the same as being in the public domain.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:30 PM

You should check out the latest version of Poker-Spy. The latest version has Player Reports on all your opponents allowing you to see all their "known hands" including the ability to review how each of the hands unfolded.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 AM

Very nice suggestion. I will take a look. Currently, I am working fixing some bugs and adding a player notes feature which identifies weak moves made by other players and notates it for you.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:59 AM

I think I mis-represented myself. The language I used to write it is a open source language but, I never intended PQS to be open source.

However, I am not necessarily opposed to it and am seriously considering it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 PM

You're throwing around so many buzzwords without knowing what they mean that I'd be suprised if anyone uses your software.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:53 PM

I certainly understand the vocabulary I am using. My statement may have, however, been unclear. As far as buzzwords are concerned . . . Whether or not you consider open source to be a buzzword is your opinion and certainly not mine. Open source hit the mainstream some time ago now and I wouldnt consider it a buzzword.

It doesnt matter, anyway. It does not apply here at this time and is as far as off-topic as I would care to get.

It's a poker tool and its free to test if anyone would like to do so. Thats it. No more to elaborate on except what features it currently has and what features are being added. Interested parties can check it out at: www.parareal.com

Thanks for the unconstructive criticism, BradleyT, but its posts like yours which continue to muddy up the initial intent of the post.