Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Can I possibly be ahead here?

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.
Final Pot: 11.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm strongly considering that villain has AK, AQ, or better. Why would villain just call the flop 3-bet and raise the turn? Looks like he's trying to get more bets in. When I first moved up to 2/4 calling down too much ruined my winrate.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a betting sequence that confuses me. ...on the flop Button only calls the reraise. Then the 7h comes on the turn and Button raises. What happend that makes Button raise on the turn after calling on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
If the Button capped the flop, our Hero would be more likely to respond to this aggression by checking the turn. By letting Hero keep the initiative on the flop, Hero is more likely to bet out on the turn allowing the Button to put another bet in when the bets are bigger. This line usually indicates the Villian is more confident in his hand than if he capped the flop. With a flop cap, he might be trying to scare Hero into checking the turn so he can get to the showdown for less money or maybe he wants to check through and get a free card.

If there were more people in the pot, a flop cap by a Villian with a very good hand might make more sense, because then he would be hoping to collect several more bets, and since some of those people might be folding the turn anyway, he wants to get them to pay him off while they are still drawing and can't properly fold for one more small bet.

I think this is called the Stop and Go.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Thanks. What is interesting is that I frequently find myself in early or middle position with a very strong hand where I don't want to scare out the players behind me, and as long as an earlier positioned player has the initiative I let them bet and will call to get the overcalls until the river and then raise if that will get the most $ in the pot. Now the question is why was it so hard to see in the play of another player? I guess it just takes time to get my mind inside the mind of my opponenets to take my game up a level. I've only been playing and studying for 4-5 months, but this seems to be one of the next steps in becoming more than a novice.