Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Which one next, TOP or HPFAP

IMO HPFAP will be more immediately applicable to your game, and reading TOP after will help you better understand the "whys" and exceptions to HPFAP.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:58 PM

if i was stranded on an island, i wouldn't be worried about which poker book i have. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 08:30 AM

Definitely get both of those books and read them over and over, especially HPFAP. Also get "Middle Limit Holdem Poker" by Ciaffone & Brier, a relatively new book. IMO WLLHP, HPFAP, & MLHP comprise the Holy Trinity of Hold'em Poker books.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:52 PM

TOP is the theory that will help you with many different poker situations. Once you understand the why's behind poker you can understand specific plays better. Also, it's the best poker book, period, IMO.

HEFAP is for advanced players. And it is aimed at Middle limit to High limit games.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:04 PM

I read HPFAP while learning how to play and playing 2-4, and while it helped a lot in learning basic strategy, many of the plays it talks about do not apply to low limit poker (as they warn). There is no such thing as a semi bluff in 2-4.... mark my words, you need the goods and you will have to show them down. Slow playing is silly because they will call either way. Hpfap did however make a huge difference when I got to 5-10 and even more so at 10-20 (where people actually fold before the river). It is only there where my readings have really paid off.
Theory of poker on the other hand will teach you the most important factor in poker (IMHO).....pot odds. It basically tells you when to call and when to fold, of course there is a lot of other great info in there as well.