Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 AM

Default TPNK

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter

SB (t853)
Hero (t950)
UTG (t5830)
UTG+1 (t1635)
UTG+2 (t3245)
MP1 (t1080)
MP2 (t2590)
MP3 (t990)
CO (t910)
Button (t4700)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t250) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t150</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero?

don't remember any reads. i'm open to suggestions on the first check also.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: TPNK

Check, fold. You're either way behind against a set of 4's or even behind against a bigger kicker. At best you will chop with your pair of fives. You're only getting about 2.5/1 on your money which isn't good enough to chase the gutshot.

If you had some type of read, you could make a play here and check raise, but I would probably check fold.

As far as the opening check goes, I like it. You could fire out a "feeler" bet on the flop and hope everyone folds. But with this many players, someone will call or raise you, and you will definetely have to fold then.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:24 AM

i don't have a gutshot.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 AM

Oops, my fault.. read that too quickly. Even more reason to fold. How did it work out for you?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Without some read on UTG+1 I think this is an easy fold. He could easily have limped with 66-99 here, it's not impossible that he could have a 4, and on those instances when you're ahead he's very rarely going to be drawing to fewer than 6 outs. You still have 18 BBs, so you don't need to ride this hand all the way out of desperation.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:16 PM

i folded. i've been getting more and more willing to check-fold TPNK and i wanted to get some thoughts. thanks all. (comments still welcome).
Old 06-30-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i folded. i've been getting more and more willing to check-fold TPNK and i wanted to get some thoughts. thanks all. (comments still welcome).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be a different story if your top pair was a J or something in this instance, but with a 5 you'll frequently be behind already and there are about five cards in the deck that you can be really happy about on the turn.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 PM

Given your check, I like the fold.

But I typically bet out something like 150-175 in these spots. Then I often check the turn and call small bets on the river.

How bad is this line?

Luke
Old 06-30-2005, 01:37 PM

I think you post asking about the initial check was the correct gutfeel. You are here, you have a hand. Put in a probe bet of half the pot and get some info. If you get raised, you are probably done with the hand. If you get called, you have to check the turn and probably fold to a bet.

Your bet here looks pretty scary since you are in the blind; not so much that you are representing a 4, but that you at least are not worried about the 4.

Fm
Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you post asking about the initial check was the correct gutfeel. You are here, you have a hand. Put in a probe bet of half the pot and get some info. If you get raised, you are probably done with the hand. If you get called, you have to check the turn and probably fold to a bet.

Your bet here looks pretty scary since you are in the blind; not so much that you are representing a 4, but that you at least are not worried about the 4.

Fm

[/ QUOTE ]

this kind of line had been my standard for hands like this. but since i'm almost never going to showdown with the best hand (unless i spike a 5 against 4x), that line seems to work better if i had 68 for a gutshot.