Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Early WSoP tactics for Dead Money

One thing to remember is that you have one hour rounds. That gives you *plenty* of time to wait and make your move. A lot of these folks are going to be looking to gamble big in the early rounds. You could try that, or you could stay out of their way until you know you've got the best of it. I wouldn't try opening up and starting to steal lots of blinds until the first few rounds are over. (if your opponent is "bad" enough that he won't fold in case he makes his runner-runner draw, then you cannot bluff them out or steal their blind, so don't try to.)
Old 06-29-2005, 04:38 PM

Right. They're actually two hour rounds with each player starting with 200xBB. In online tourneys, i rarely steal blinds in early rounds, which then allows me to more easily steal them later when they're actually worth something. The same will be true at the WSoP, though i'm likely to need to vary my play at least a little.

I just figure that a Big Time Professional would realize that you can't win on the first day and therefore would be unlikely to risk his whole stack on a close decision just to double up. I was wondering how feasible it'd be to exploit that to take a couple medium-size pots away from him by threatening his whole stack. I'll by no means want him to call in this situation, but, in case he does, i will have many outs unless i severely misread the hand.

I'll be happy to survive the first day with 10K-20K chips, though i obviously wouldn't mind more.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right. They're actually two hour rounds with each player starting with 200xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh! i had thought it was 1 hour. that's even better.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be happy to survive the first day with 10K-20K chips, though i obviously wouldn't mind more.

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems a reasonable approach. good luck!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:42 AM

Just a question for those of you who consider yourselves dead money in the main event:

What made you decide to play rather than take the cash or sell your seat?

I haven't tried to qualify, but I always thought that if I did, I'd just take the cash unless I had become much better than I am at the moment. I can imagine, though, the temptation to give it a shot would be enormous if I felt I had the bankroll to reasonably pass up the cash...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:08 PM

Honestly, while i am very much looking forward to a free vacation, and feel i have a better than avg chance to money in the ME, I would take the cash value of the seat if given the chance. However, Stars stipulates that you MUST play your first entry. There is no cash option available, which is just as good anyway.

Heck, I tried to chop when HU during a $30 rebuy event, but that fell through because he didn't have 6k in his stars account. I would have gladly walked away with the cash in that situation.

gc
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM

Default YOU ARE NOT DEAD MONEY

I think you are way over analyzing the situation. Just play your game. Dont push all in to get a coin flip with a pro, just play your game. Have fun, relax, there are ten players at your table. If you are really concerned just dont get involved in big pots with the pros, but i think that is even overdoing it. I cant emphasize this enough - forget the pros - most arent that good anyway - just play your game
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Perception vs. Reality vs. Possible Self-delusion

I really don't consider myself Dead Money so much as that's how i'd be perceived by others. If my stamina is okay (and i can overcome my current bout with diarrhea...just thought i'd share...you're welcome), i suspect i'm around 10% to cash or so, out of practice or not.

However, to a Big Time Professional i'd definitely be considered Dead Money until i proved otherwise. Figured i might want to exploit that interpretation.

As far as giving up my seat, i would prefer the $10K in cash. However, EmpirePoker wouldn't allow that, and even if they did, it'd be an incredibly dickish move on my part given that Emipre generously transfered my $15.3K WPT entry to the WSoP and gave me the $5300 cash difference after i decided to have brain surgery instead of playing in the first tourney.

Empire deserves the positive PR that would come with me being profiled as one of those boring feel-good stories on ESPN.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Perception vs. Reality vs. Possible Self-delusion

out of curiosity how many people or what percentage of the field money?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:53 PM

Had a little fun with excel and plugged in the numbers...
(note that 6% of the prize pool is withheld by the house).

WSOP 2005 Payouts
Old 06-30-2005, 02:00 PM

I should have asked this with my last question, but what day roughly what day is it normal to get into the money? Sorry if I'm threadjacking, but as possible dead money I'm interested