Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Really really bummed out....Help?

I've been playing poker online for about 2 years now. I play both ring and tournament games online but mainly I make my cash vis tournies. I've never ran into this string of bad beats before....for the past month - I have barely cashed in tournies and I've been getting knocked out of all my tournies on outrageous outdraws. These beats at not all in preflop hands - it's usually post-flop - normally all in after the flop with beats where I have overpair or sets to peeps underpair --- and I would be beat over and over again by runner runner flushes...straights....gutshots....you name it I've had it. Over and over again and it seems endless. I know bad beats happen but can anyone tell me if they gone through times when it just seems you just resigned to your fate on every hand that the worse card is coming....how do you deal with this? do you take a break or play through? I dont have a lot of poker buddies to talk to or at least not buddies that play poker as seriously as I do....so I am posting hoping to get some encouraging words or advice on how to deal with this rough patch.

thanks for any response.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Really really bummed out....Help?

Just go to class and keep doing your homework and you'll be fine.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 PM

You wrote: "I dont have a lot of poker buddies to talk to or at least not buddies that play poker as seriously as I do...."

Our forums are a useful source of advice and support, but I encourage EVERYBODY to find some poker buddies. Without them it's just too hard to cope with the sorts of frustrations you're having now, and we have all had from time to time.

Read my article about the Wednesday Poker Discussion Group at cardplayer.com. Without it many of us would be in trouble.

It's a lot of work to start a group, but it's worth it.

Regards,

Al
Old 06-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Get a PS2 and buy a lot of games on ebay (cheap second hand, good selection too). Go nuts. Invite non-poker friends, order pizza, get drunk, watch movies, play games (non-poker), go for a joyride at night (sober driver), go to a rock concert, call a friend you didn't call for a long time, visit that church on your street...etc.

Spontaneity helps to snap losing streaks and gets rid of that "here we go again...f@#$..." feeling.

Don't take the bad beats too seriously. When they happen, it doesn't mean that God, life, cards, or others hate you.

LIVE.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 AM

I think everybody goes through this stage at one point or another, and not just poker. When it happens to me, I take a break where I have absolutely nothing to do poker for say, a week. After your self-imposed hiatus, re-read one or two of those poker books you have on the shelf, surf the poker forums, and get back in. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:21 AM

I'm nearing 20K hands and barely showing a profit. Ironically, i've never been more active here at 2+2 posting hands, discussing hands, re-reading SSHE and analyzing my play. As far as I can tell, I don't have any major leaks although im probably going to buy PT soon just to re-re-re-analyze everything... BUT i'm still making more money than minimum wage with rakebacks & bonuses so it's better than nothing... and as far as I can tell, my game's never been better so I just keep at it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 05:26 AM

I have a similar problem. I don't have pokerbuddies or anyone I can talk to when I feel burnt out about poker. I don't even have anyone I can instant message.

I gave up on trying to talk to normal people I know about poker. Have you tried this? Its the most useless activity ever.

However, I DO have a playstation 2, which helps a lot. I strongly recommend it.

As far as running bad is concerned, look at it like this. If you flipped a coin a few times, chances are that it wouldn't come up the same every time 20 times in a row. However, if it was your job to flip coins all day, or if you just did it as a personal hobby, you would eventually see some VERY strange things.

Here's a chip reese saying that I like a lot "If you play really well, maybe you'll win 65 days and lose 35 days. If let yourself be effected on those 35 days, you have a very good life"

Thats actually a paraphrase. Sorry if it isn't as accurate as it should be.

All the best.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm nearing 20K hands and barely showing a profit. Ironically, i've never been more active here at 2+2 posting hands, discussing hands, re-reading SSHE and analyzing my play.

[/ QUOTE ] Which goes to my other suggestion; have you tried taking a total, complete break for a period of time? Think of it this way: you're at your real job. You're stressed out due to the work environment, co-workers, the boss, etc. What do you do? Take a vacation where the last thing that you do is think about work. When the vacation is over, theoretically, you're refreshed and reinvigorated.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 AM

It's called pokerstars. Choose a different site. If this isn't pokerstars your talking about then choose a different site but not pokerstars.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a similar problem. I don't have pokerbuddies or anyone I can talk to when I feel burnt out about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

One possible solution: http://www.homepokergames.com

I don't have enough poker buddies either. But I'm looking for a semiregular home game to make some.

Of course, people under 18 or 21 may have a harder time with that.