Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Default has anyone played the poker room cellphone hold em?

I read in the all in magazine that pokerroom has a cellphone program to play over the phone - i don't play at pokeroom so can anyone comment?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: has anyone played the poker room cellphone hold em?

I played Hellmuth's shitty play money version. It was torture.

Blackjack
Old 06-29-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
played Hellmuth's shitty play money version. It was torture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I have this, set it to 3 handed so it's slightly more entertaining. It really does suck though.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Yeah, I've got it installed on my phone. It's probably the best Java application for a cell phone ever developed - it's quite amazing. There are however still issues with it - my main gripe is that I can only play limit ring games - no no-limit and no tournaments. I guess it's coming at some point, and I think it's great they've released it now instead of waiting until those things are implemented as well. Also, it seems that some cell phone provider work poorly with PokerRoom's proxy servers (blocking access etc.), so check with your provider if they will allow you to use the application.

All-in-all - it's beatiful, works great and is a lot better than I thought was possible on a little cell phone. Perfect? Not yet.

The Quirky Kirko
Old 06-30-2005, 10:19 AM

Great to hear a good review from someone who has tried it. I have a new cell phone (Nokia 6630) on the way just so I can play cell phone poker when I'm traveling (which is 60% of the time). I have T-mobile and hopefully their servers will be compatible with Pokerroom's servers. I'll post a review if I can get it up and running for a week or two.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Can you tell me which phone / plan / provider you have? I've tried and it doesn't work w/ the phone I got. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-30-2005, 04:54 PM

I played Hellmuth's version this weekend on my buddy's phone. It was 5/10 6-max limit against like Phil, Sammy, Chip, Phil and one other pro. It was a joke. They bet raised everything. None of them respected my raises. I was wishing there was a way you could chat on there and I wanted to tell them about how they all played like idiots and that I was going to close out the application and reopen the no limit game as soon as I was properly rolled.

I won like one pot in 15 hands before I got bored and handed him his phone back.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:16 AM

Since I live in Denmark, I use TDC (the biggest danish cell provider) and a Sony Ericsson K700i. Since I think you were american, I don't know anything about what provider you should use, but the Sony Ericsson-phones work great with the application (and are quite nice to talk with as well...)

The Quirky Kirko