Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: War of the Worlds

Is it like the original at all? Do they try and nuke the [censored] out of the crafts?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it. Very well directed (almost goes without saying), and good acting jobs all around, although Tom Cruise is miscast. It was really going strong until about half way through the story, which incidentally is when they decided to end the movie. "I don't really know how we're going to wrap this up, so lets just stop here." I won't ruin the ending, but it's a copout. Pretty decent overall though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to be a spoiler, but does it end like the book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thats why Im wondering why ppl think its a cop out. Was the book a cop out to?

Realistically what do u think would happen to aliens who come invade our planet? On a biologic level they are not used to the things we are.

With what happened to the aliens at the end of the movie, you think they would have thought ahead about such a simple biologic idea.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it. Very well directed (almost goes without saying), and good acting jobs all around, although Tom Cruise is miscast. It was really going strong until about half way through the story, which incidentally is when they decided to end the movie. "I don't really know how we're going to wrap this up, so lets just stop here." I won't ruin the ending, but it's a copout. Pretty decent overall though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to be a spoiler, but does it end like the book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thats why Im wondering why ppl think its a cop out. Was the book a cop out to?

Realistically what do u think would happen to aliens who come invade our planet? On a biologic level they are not used to the things we are.

With what happened to the aliens at the end of the movie, you think they would have thought ahead about such a simple biologic idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, all of this space travel technology and they don't think to cover this in their planning, wtf? Consider the time this was written though, maybe the ending was more surprising to the contemporary audience.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty weak that someone would see the movie, then call the ending a copout when it ends just as the book does. READ THE BOOK.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:19 AM

Yeah, I think germ theory was still new and exciting back then. The day wasn't far removed where doctors and hospitals were almost spitefully unclean.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:25 AM

This is the worst movie I have seen so far this summer, and I go to a movie almost every weekend. This movie was good for about a half an hour, the rest of the movie was tediously slow. And the actors didn't fit the roles, Tom Cruise was the worst fit, and Dakota Fanning played her role alright I guess (all she did was scream and look scared, she was annoying).

Basically just because a book was revolutionary in 1889 or whenever it was written doesnt mean it is neccesarilly a good story for a movie, and it probably means it isnt a good choice because science fiction has grown from this over the last 100 years. Regressing to a form of science fiction from 100 years ago makes for a boring movie.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 AM

macdaddy i must deliver props to your awesome avatar. well done.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 AM

aliens can't handle the germs so they die when exposed to air

******SPOILER
Old 06-30-2005, 03:49 AM

why are you such a jerkoff. you could have put that in white or something. thats like posting a naked picture and underneath it typing "NSFW"

thanks alot.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
aliens can't handle the germs so they die when exposed to air

******SPOILER

[/ QUOTE ]
You moran, you're supposed to put *****SPOILER at the top of the page. What a penis.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you such a jerkoff. you could have put that in white or something. thats like posting a naked picture and underneath it typing "NSFW"

thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....the story was written back in 1898 and the ending is already common knowledge. His transgression is more like posting a naked picture of a 107 woman and not typing NSFW.

Stu